K-Tec

TAS Perseids Star-B-Q and Campfire Night - Aug 12th

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 2 months ago #31007 by Seanie_Morris
As many of you now know, the Perseids Meteor Shower makes its annual return on the night of August 12th/13th. Despite having a gibbous Moon get in the way for almost all night, it will still not deter many clubs and individuals of stepping outside to have a look - weather permitting of course!

And as a lot of you know, TAS likes to hold a Perseids Event at the same time. Last year, we just did an informal Star-B-Q, with observing (but not much due to cloud), and camping!

This year, we plan to do it again! So, we are giving all our friends and anyone else interested the opportunity to come down and stay overnight, use the barbie, sit around the campfire, listen to some star tails, and hopefully do some observing - the club has a new Revelation 12 inch reflector to show off!

The rules are simple: find your way down on Saturday evening, pick a spot on our site, cut the grass for your tent with clippers provided, bring food, and have fun!

No charge, no restrictions (except to use common sense when around open fires etc), and no worries! We hope that the weather plays ball. The fact that our site is over a mile off the main road (2 miles from Tullamore town centre) down a country lane in the middle of nowhere allows us some pretty good dark skies and lots of privacy.

Those who would like a drawing of general directions, drop me an e-mail via tullamoreastronomy 'at' yahoo.com, or PM me your e-mail address.

Those of us involved on these boards include myself, Michael O'Connell, and Darren Dempsey, so feel free to ask anything!

Of course, you don't have to stay out camping all night - you can simply come and visit and say hi!

Clear Skies for the 12th!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 months ago #31018 by Pioneer
Hi Seanie. Is that 12 incher a Dob. I love to have a look through it, since I'm considering building a 12".

More
18 years 2 months ago #31019 by albertw

The rules are simple: find your way down on Saturday evening, pick a spot on our site, cut the grass for your tent with clippers provided, bring food, and have fun!

We never had to cut the grass any other year!

Wonder what I'll forget to bring this year :-)

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 2 months ago #31020 by Seanie_Morris

Hi Seanie. Is that 12 incher a Dob. I love to have a look through it, since I'm considering building a 12".

That it is Peter.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 2 months ago #31021 by Seanie_Morris

We never had to cut the grass any other year!

Wonder what I'll forget to bring this year :-)

Cheers,
~Al

No, but that was because some of us got together to volunteer a day to cut it in advance. We haven't the heart nor the time at the moment to do it this year. We also got the carpark sorted, so we reckon we can accommodate 15 to 20 cars.

And what did you forget last year?

Midlands Astronomy Club.

More
18 years 2 months ago #31022 by albertw

No, but that was because some of us got together to volunteer a day to cut it in advance. We haven't the heart nor the time at the moment to do it this year. We also got the carpark sorted, so we reckon we can accommodate 15 to 20 cars.

Cool so! Just watch out for the wildlife!

And what did you forget last year?

Milk. And the year before, butter :-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds