K-Tec

Observing Guide

More
18 years 2 months ago #31962 by Neill
Observing Guide was created by Neill
Hi all,

I want to take a straw poll of your views on something. As you know tomorrow if the IAU vote Yes - we will have 12 planets. I would like to know whether you think I should incorporate any or all the new planets into the observing guide I do? My view is that including Ceres is sensible, as would any future asteroidal belt objects which get reclassified, but I think the Plutons - Pluto, Xena and Charon are so dim - mag +14 and over that they are hard to see unless you have very large telescopes and aren't worth putting in, or shall I just keep it at the existing 9 which we all know?

Your input is appreciated

Neill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 months ago #31964 by iridium.flare
Replied by iridium.flare on topic Re: Observing Guide
I was actually wondering about this myself! I do the night sky section on the DCU Astrosoc website.

Currently I include the 9 objects we regard as planets as of today, and have included them in September's guide that I put online yesterday. But if the IAU vote yes then I think I'll just do Mercury-Neptune (although I do have tables plotted for Pluto through to the end of the year).

I'm not sure about Ceres either. It depends what exactly it's classified as. If I'm ignoring all the 'Plutons' and Ceres is shoved in with them then I guess I'll be ignoring it too. There'll be way too many Plutons to keep an eye on, especially if the group is likely to rapidly increase to 24, or 53 or whatever ridiculous number of objects people are throwing around. If Ceres is considered a planet in its own right but not a Pluton, which wouldn't make sense to me cause it's smaller than Pluto, then I'll be including it from October.

However, I am also open to suggestions and other people's opinions on whether there would be a better course of action.

Dwane.

It's worse than that, it's physics Jim!

More
18 years 2 months ago #31965 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Observing Guide
Neill

Until the IAU decision is voted on and decided, I'd leave it as it is. I think that whatever their decsion there will be plenty of argument for months to come - from all sides of the debate. Clearly it is an issue that has generated (sometimes strong) opinions of all shapes and sizes. I'd expect the dust won't settle for some months (with background noise going on for far longer...). I'd sit it out until there is clear guidance and a concrete position.

When the dust settles, if the decision is that we have three new planets then I'd include them all but perhaps footnote the dimmest as being attainable only by large telescopes.

If they decide we now have 53 planets, you've a lot of typing to do... :D

€0.02

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 2 months ago #32010 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Observing Guide
I'd be inclined to go with what the IAU says. Who are we mere mortals to argue! For the plutons you could just include a one liner saying 'This planet is not suited to backyard observation' or something like that.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 2 months ago #32019 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Observing Guide

For the plutons you could just include a one liner saying 'This planet is not suited to backyard observation' or something like that.

Looks like 'Plutons' may have been rejected as a descriptor...

More
18 years 2 months ago #32022 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Observing Guide
thank god !!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds