• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
17 years 8 months ago #40130 by ftodonoghue
Outreach was created by ftodonoghue
Hi folks

Recent posts here on outreach got me thinking. Should we have an outreach section on the site, explaining what clubs around the country are willing to do / have done.

We have had some excellent examples recently , the ias sidewalk astronomy, sac's upcoming beaver visit, newspaper articles etc. In Kerry we will be having open beginners and telescope nights shortly and will be stuck in an easter festival down here.

If interested community groups stumble onto the site, then it gives them an idea of what is possible and may encourage partnership with IFAS clubs.

Cheers
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 8 months ago #40132 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Outreach
Trevor,
I created this thread a few weeks ago to to try and collate info re outreach:
www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=5335

Regards,

More
17 years 8 months ago #40137 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Outreach
Not a bad idea Trevor, but I don't know if it would merit a whole new forum for it. What I would suggest (perhaps) is a Sticky with club reps reports on their public observing sessions and outreach programmes. Thoughts?

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
17 years 8 months ago #40138 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Outreach
Hi Lads.
Thanks for the responses, I had more in mind though a seperate web page, not a forum. We could use a topic like mikes to gather info and create a web page with outreach info, and what type of activities the clubs usually do.

Cheers
Trevor

More
17 years 8 months ago #40143 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Outreach
I was thinking of something similar, but I'd be using the "Announcements and club news" forum to announce SAC events, which are happening more regularly these days.

BUT, I do think an outreach forum (or something similar) is a good idea, as visitors will be able to quickly and easily find out what clubs are doing.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 8 months ago #40151 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Outreach
I think a forum under the Beginners and Club Announcements section would be a good starting point, and see how it goes from there.

Some Outreach events up and coming are Sidewalk Astronomers on 10th Feb in Sandymount, we are also doing a session for transition year students in Glencree on 28th Feb, there's the International Astronomy Day on 21st April, when we'll be planning to do something public with UNICEF, the list will go on and on, and thats just some from one club in Dublin. Deirdre Kelleghan alone could fill many pages with the talks she gives for schools etc. I'm sure the rest of the clubs will be doing other outreach events, and pooling knowledge and experience and resources under one forum would be very useful.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds