K-Tec

2009 Astronomy Year - The Universe: Yours to Discover

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 4 months ago #47213 by michaeloconnell
The IAU have decided that 2009 will be the International Year of Astronomy. The following is an extract from the website www.astronomy2009.org/ which sets out the goal of the program:

"The vision of the International Year of Astronomy (IYA2009) is to help the citizens of the world rediscover their place in the Universe through the day- and night time sky, and thereby engage a personal sense of wonder and discovery. All humans should realise the impact of astronomy and basic sciences on our daily lives, and understand better how scientific knowledge can contribute to a more equitable and peaceful society.

The International Year of Astronomy (IYA2009) will be a global celebration of astronomy and its contributions to society and culture, highlighted by the 400th anniversary of the first use of an astronomical telescope by Galileo Galilei. The aim of the Year is to stimulate worldwide interest, especially among young people, in astronomy and science under the central theme “The Universe, Yours to Discover”. IYA2009 events and activities will promote a greater appreciation of the inspirational aspects of astronomy that embody an invaluable shared resource for all nations.

The IYA2009 activities will take place locally, regionally and nationally. National Nodes in each country have been formed to prepare activities for 2009. These Nodes establish collaborations between professional and amateur astronomers, science centres and science communicators."

Needless to say, IFAS lends it's full support to this program. To that end, we wish to actively encourage club committees to consider developing activities such as meetings, observing sessions, lectures etc with this goal in mind. Hopefully this website can act as a catalyst for the co-ordination of these activities. If there is any way that IFAS can assist clubs in organising a program for this unique opportunity, please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 4 months ago #47228 by ftodonoghue
I know IFAS doesn't go in for organising anything, but surely between here and 2009, we could try and get some nationwide activities co-ordinated, maybe a solar day, a lunar night, and a weekends observing. Most clubs will be doing stuff anyway.

what do ye think

Cheers
Trevor

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 4 months ago #47236 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: 2009 Astronomy Year - The Universe: Yours to Discover
I agree 110% and am glad someone else thinks we should too. I also got a similar response for others too along the same lines.

More
17 years 4 months ago #47244 by Sunflowers123
Replied by Sunflowers123 on topic 2009
I think that 2009 is a great opportunity to get the wider public involved with Astronomy and to organise a calander of National Events during the year would be brilliant. And with 18months to plan why not!

More
17 years 4 months ago #47245 by artyfarty
Replied by artyfarty on topic Re: 2009

I think that 2009 is a great opportunity to get the wider public involved with Astronomy and to organise a calander of National Events during the year would be brilliant. And with 18months to plan why not!

It would also give IFAS a much needed opportunity to increase it's PR. I'll offer my services to this task if needed.

More
17 years 4 months ago #47256 by Sunflowers123
Replied by Sunflowers123 on topic The Skies are the Limit in 2009
I agree that this is a good opportunity to gain much needed PR. With so many local groups around the country it could really be a good national event.
Perhaps this would be a good idea for all clubs to start getting ideas and putting plans in place.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds