K-Tec

TAS Perseids Star-B-Q Aug 11th - the usual scenario!

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 2 months ago #49612 by Seanie_Morris
Hi folks,

well, after some conversing last night, it's official, TAS will be holding its annual Perseids Star-B-Q this Saturday night. Some say weather prospects are good, so fingers crossed. The details are as follows:

The event will take place at our Observing Site in Clonminch. Many of you who have expressed an interest have been there before for one reason or another. If you do want to come, but do not know the way, please PM me for directions.

I guess arrival any time from 7:30/8pm onwards is fine, as that will give us time to set up the bar-b-q, clear individual tent space, and go looking for fuel for the campfire. The bar-b-q and charcoal etc will be provided, just bring your own food, drinks, utensils (though I'm sure various spatulas etc will be on hand anyway), and crockery.

If camping overnight
Get there early enough. 8:00pm is the guide time to allow for the cursing and swearing as you realise you don't have enough pegs for the tent, forgot burger buns, or even just to relax for those of you coming from afar. Come earlier if you wish. We'll light the barbie around 8/8:30 and basically it's a free-for-all to use it. From experience, make a list of things you intend to bring, then check that list before you leave home for the night.

Extras worth mentioning: transistor radio, binoculars, extra thermos flask of hot drink, one of those "camping chairs" seen in Aldi and Dunnes Stores (the one with the cupholder, or like Mike O'C, bring a sunbed!), cap/hat to help rid the midges, gas burner for yourself to make food/drink if camping over, plus wind shield for it, and red torch.

I'm sure some of you would like to share your experiences from last/previous years to shell out to newbies who might think of coming down and don't know what to expect. ;) There is also a 24hour Tesco not far away if you forgot something and need to rush out.

Oh, and as usual, women squat in that bush, the guys use this bush... :lol:

Any questions, just ask. Don't know if I have forgotten anything...

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 2 months ago #49705 by Seanie_Morris
Some of you have been asking "how will we know if it's cloudy if this will go ahead?". When we talked about it on Saturday night, the consensus was that even if the forecast was for cloud, that we may get ucky during the course of the night and have some breaks to spot something. The last 3 years it was cloudy on the night (and on one instance, 2005 I think) a hurricane at 3am! So, despite the cloud which we were not sure would have happened, we still had the fun of the barbie and campfire and all that goes along with that.

So, unless it is raining on the evening, why not just play it by ear and be ready to make the trip anyway!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 2 months ago #49780 by Seanie_Morris
I know that this is weather dependant, but if the forecast was for clear skies and calm viewing, would you mind sounding off if you would intend on coming? Just to know, if it's a wash out, what TAS was missing. Or even could look forward to if the evening presents a good picture of itself.

:)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.

More
17 years 2 months ago #49800 by lionsden
From Met Eireann:

SATURDAY NIGHT: Turning that bit fresher Saturday night in a moderate west to northwest breeze. It will be mainly dry too, although showery rain will develop for a time in northwestern areas.

I'll be there, and I'll be bringing the tent.

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

More
17 years 2 months ago #49802 by phoenix
Seanie, EAAS are in the same boat. Forecast is terrible, getting the BBQ lit could be a major problem. We will make the call tomorrow if its a bust or not. Sunday & Monday forecasts are better for us higher latitude residents.

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

More
17 years 2 months ago #49808 by Frank Ryan
I Don't think I'll be Star-B-Queing with ye lads.
Not when the weather is like this.
:(

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds