• carlobeirnes
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
17 years 1 month ago #50794 by carlobeirnes
Reports on Astronomy Irelands Star-B-Q was created by carlobeirnes
Hi All,
Just Thought I'd show you guy's and girls some of the highlights' of the Star-B-Q in Roundwood in Co Wicklow.

Ireland's largest gathering of Amateur Astronomers took place at 8:00pm on Saturday September 08.

Upwards on 600 people travelled to the highest village in Ireland - Roundwood, Co. Wicklow for Astronomy Ireland's bi - annual fundraising Star-B-Q event breaking all previous records. Roundwood has become the home of this unique event. Met Eireann had forecast good weather for the event so hopes were high for clear skies.

The first talk was given by the well known TV and Radio presenter Leo Enright of RTE and the Discover Science and Engineering Program. The talk entitled 3D Mars was excellent. 3D glasses were handed around before the talk began and they really brought the martian images to life. It was a strange sight to see so many people sitting glued to a screen all wearing the same kind of glasses.

Astronomy Ireland Chairman, David Moore gave the next lecture. This was a David's very popular lecture on the Universe. This was followed by a great lecture by Emlyn Jones with lots of animation and sound.

While the lectures were happening inside there was also a lot happening outside. Eamonn O'Fearchain gave an imaging display projected onto his big screen. Tony Ryan gave his excellent naked eye "Walk though the Heavens" helped by the aid of a powerful laser pointer. Twenty telescopes organised by David Grennan lined up on the football pitch focused on a variety of night sky objects. Carl O'Beirnes and Robert Lord as well as showing off the latest state of the art telescopes demonstrated the remakable SkyScout.

Skies were partially clear for the event especially earlier on and quite a bit of useful viewing was done. Later on the dreaded clouds rolled in.

There was something for everyone and lots of wonderful memories for many to take home.

www.astronomy.ie/images/SBQsept07/a29big.jpg
"3D Mars" lecture

www.astronomy.ie/images/SBQsept07/a22big.jpg
David Grennan shows how its done

www.astronomy.ie/images/SBQsept07/a23big.jpg
Me showing how to work a CGE14" Scope.

www.astronomy.ie/images/SBQsept07/a30big.jpg
Leo Enright and David Moore

www.astronomy.ie/images/SBQsept07/a24big.jpg
David Grennan & Gary Clarke setting up the Big One.

www.astronomy.ie/images/SBQsept07/a31big.jpg
Keith O'Beirnes at the Shop

www.astronomy.ie/images/SBQsept07/a21big.jpg
RTE were there!

[edit albertw : using smaller images, original post used 1200+px wide. Carl please ensure you use smaller images in future.]

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago #50803 by dogstar
Replied by dogstar on topic Re: Reports on Astronomy Irelands Star-B-Q
hey Carl thanks for sharing,it looked like a great day.I must say how smart you looked in your sunday best 8-)

oh wise man why is the universe so perfect?ah because symmetry loves herself.

11" sct,
various Apo refractors,
various cameras,
Losmandy mount.

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 1 month ago #50804 by paulevans
Replied by paulevans on topic Re: Reports on Astronomy Irelands Star-B-Q
Looks like a good night Carl! That shot of the audience wearing 3D glasses is something special :-)

More
17 years 1 month ago #50808 by Mike
Thanks Carl
It was a most enjoyable night overall. The cloud that arrived later in the evening may have disappointed many people but the social aspect more than made up for this initial disappointment. I did get some time observing mighty Jupiter and the Galilean moons as did other people through my NS 8.
What really made my night is when the kids exclaimed “WOW” at the eyepiece; this was worth the long trip in itself!

Regards and clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

• carlobeirnes
  • Topic Author
More
17 years 1 month ago #50846 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic RTE'S REPORT ON THE STAR-B-Q
Hi All

Just thought I'd share this with you as most of you know RTE NEWS was at the Star-B-Q on Saturday. What a great event it was (as per usual Ray Doyle takes up most of the air time playing with his Scope just like he did in Sir Patrick's house) BTW he is the ginger one :>) you may spot yourself.

astronomy.ie/video/rte_starbq.php

[edit albertw: merged into existing topic. We don't need a new topic for every report][Sorry albert Carl]

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds