K-Tec

Star Party in Glendalough this Saturday weather premitting

More
16 years 11 months ago #54540 by johnflannery
Agree with you Al on the road conditions ... I've driven around there at all times of the year in various weathers at all hours of the day/night and it's too early for ice. It's more into late-December and January that snow and ice begins to make it very trecherous. Sometimes low cloud scudding across the road though and it can be fairly windy. The dark roads means drive carefully if you are not 100% familiar with the route because there are some sharp bends and steep descents.

Should be no problem bringing your own scope Paul. The IAS members will have theirs along as well and will be delighted to have an extra eye on the sky :) Drop Deirdre Kelleghan a PM though so she knows in advance how many scopes will be available on the night. Many thanks!

I'm not sure if I'll make it down there as I've an exam on Monday night in class :roll:

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #54663 by JohnONeill
Hi,

For those travelling to the IAS Public Star Party at Glendalough via the M50, please note that a section of the motorway is closed from 8pm on next Saturday overnight.

The section is between Junction 14 (Leopardstown) and the end of the M50 at Shankill (Junction 17).

Divert via Leopardstown Road and Bray Road.

John

More
16 years 11 months ago #54664 by jhoare
Latest weather for Saturday:

Saturday will be windy, with rain spreading from the northwest to all parts, the rain heavy in many areas and accompanied by strong south to southwest winds. Clearer weather, with sunny spells and showers, will develop in Connacht and in Ulster and will extend to all parts later. It will turn colder, as winds veer westerly in direction and there is a risk of frost overnight.

from www.met.ie @12:20 today.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
16 years 11 months ago #54702 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
Unfortunately :( due to the fact we will have 100% cloud and rain tomorrow evening
We must postpone the Wicklow National Park Star Party.
Thanks for all the interest and for promised support, we will re schedule it in line with the parks plans. It’s a pity as it would have been terrific to share Holmes in such a dark place.

Deirdre Kelleghan
Irish Astronomical Society

More
16 years 11 months ago #54704 by philiplardner
It's a pity about this weekend - c'est la vie.

On the plus side... Mars will be getting closer and bigger - so fingers crossed for the coming weekends. I had some great views of Mars last week after observing Holmes - quite a bit of surface detail, which surprised me as it wasn't particularly high at the time.

Phil.

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds