SDAS meeting on May 8th -- and some important news

• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 5 months ago #67682 by johnflannery
Hi all,

Hope everyone had a nice Bank Holiday weekend.

The next SDAS meeting on Thursday, May 8th will be the last before the Summer break and features Al White talking about "Parkes and Pulsars". Al recently visited the Parkes Radio Observatory (where the movie "The Dish" was filmed) in Australia and also viewed the skies from Down Under. The meeting kicks off at 8pm in Gonzaga College, Ranelagh. The nearest LUAS stop is on Dunville Avenue/Beechwood and the 11, 44, or 48 buses pass nearby.

Regrettably, I will have to step down as SDAS dictator -- sorry, Chairman! -- with immediate effect. The lecture schedule for my evening course means I will be unable to attend any meetings over the next 12 months and I will have very little time for astronomy. The course is currently 3 nights a week and will be over 4 nights for the foreseeable future :-(

I hope our committee will convene over the Summer months and put a structure in place to plan the Society year going forward. All enquires about the club for the moment should be directed to info@southdublinastronomy.org

I'd like to thank all those over the last few years who helped out through giving lectures, posing interesting questions and discussions, and generally adding a touch of humour and camaraderie to the meetings. I'll be back once the degree is under the belt!

atb,

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #67698 by albertw
Hi,

The next SDAS meeting on Thursday, May 8th will be the last before the Summer break and features Al White talking about "Parkes and Pulsars". Al recently visited the Parkes Radio Observatory (where the movie "The Dish" was filmed) in Australia and also viewed the skies from Down Under.

This will be the same talk I gave at COSMOS btw.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
16 years 5 months ago #68109 by DaveGrennan
John,

I want to thank you for your dedicated service to the SDAS over the years. Without your hard work, I'm not sure the SDAS would still be in existance. Thanks for the sambos and the mars bars and in particular I want to thank you for your excellent talks and your ongoing enthusiasm. Anyone who knows you cannot help but be infected with your enthusiasm.

I wish you the best with the course and look forward to seeing you back in action once your studies are complete.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds