• Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 4 months ago #69863 by michaeloconnell
SPAM ADVISORY - Yaari Friend Alert was created by michaeloconnell
If you get an e-mail looking like this:

joe bloggs wants you to join Yaari!

Is joe your friend?

Yes, joe is my friend! No, joe isn't my friend.

Please respond or joe may think you said no :(

Thanks,
The Yaari Team
____
If you prefer not to receive this email tell us here. If you have any concerns
regarding the content of this message, please email abuse@yaari.com.
Yaari LLC, 358 Angier Ave, Atlanta, GA 30312

Irrespective of who you think it comes from, I would strongly advise that you delete it and do not click on any links in the e-mail. It can access your internet e-mail account and send spam to everyone in your address book.

For more:
aalaap.blogspot.com/2007/07/say-no-to-yaaricom.html

Unfortunatley, it has sent e-mails out to people in my yahoo e-mail address and I know someone else here has also had the same problem.
As we are all in a relatively small community of astronomers, it is likely that some other astronomers here may get an e-mail like this from me or someone else here. Therefore, for your own sake, I'd appreciate if you can take the above advice on board.

For clarification purposes, this security issue does not involve the database of contact details contained within the IFAS site, just the e-mail accounts of a couple of astronomers here.

Regards,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #69869 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: SPAM ADVISORY - Yaari Friend Alert
I'd go even further than Michael.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER GIVE YOUR EMAIL PASSWORD TO A THIRD PARTY EVER

EVER

Seriously, just about every site you sign up to on the web uses your email as confirmation. Giving out that password doesn't just allows the bad guys to spam your freinds, if they are very bad they could take over pretty much your entire online persona.

If you fell for this or any other similar scheme and gave out the password to your email account to anyone CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD NOW!

This is a really sinister turn that the bad guys have taken. I'm astounded at how many people give up their passwords when asked. NEVER EVER EVER GIVE YOUR PASSWORD!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds