K-Tec

Please send Gratan Banister a postcard!!!

• astroguy
  • Topic Author
  • Super-Nova
  • Super-Nova
More
15 years 11 months ago #74279 by astroguy
L.S.

My learned friend the Rev.Gratan Banister, the nestor of southern Irelands amature astronomy, has been admitted to hospital in Bantry with symptoms of general exhaustion.
I hope this is only due to his repectable old age.
What most impressed me about his mental agility is that he embraced Goto Scopes after spending a life long learning and knowing where most of the stars are by heart.
Many of you may have met Gratan at the many meetings he organised in South West Cork.

Although he receives a good few visitors I think it would realy cheer him up if he were to recive well wishes by postcard from as many of us as possible.

Please simply address your cards to:

Gratan Banister
Bantry Hospital
Bantry
Co. Cork

Many thanks!

Jouke

LX 200 GPS, Williams optics 80mm APO, Meade LPI, Canon 300D, Skymap pro, Lunar phase pro, Image plus, Exploradome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #74288 by ei5fk
Thanks for the information Jouke, Gratan is an amazing man, I paid a visit to him during the summer, he wanted me to take him for a spin on the back of my 1200cc motorcycle, this was shortly after he was left out of hospital after a similar incident.
Hope Reverend Gratan makes a quick recovery

More
15 years 11 months ago #74303 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Please send Gratan Banister a postcard!!!
Hi Jouke,
thanks for letting us know. I had the pleasure of meeting him at TAS's Cosmos '99 when he was a guest speaker. The committee back then tried to get in touch after the invitation was accepted to give him details of where to stay, a map, and so on (by post, as he had no e-mail!).
When he was here, he remarked that when we posted the stuff to get in touch with him as "Rev. Grattan Bannister, West Cork". He said that just "Cork" on the address was just fine as he was the only person named 'Grattan' or 'Bannister'!

May he get well soon, from past and present TAS Members who also had the pleasure of meeting him.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds