Dr. Maire Bruck RIP

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 years 10 months ago - 15 years 10 months ago #75295 by michaeloconnell
Dr. Maire Bruck RIP was created by michaeloconnell
It is with regret that I inform you that Dr Maire Brick passed away last Thursday night.
I know some of you here corresponded with her regularly.

Details from Terry Moseley:

Dr Maire T Bruck, nee Conway, a native of Co Meath, died last week, but having been away from my PC a lot since then, I have not been able to pass on the news until now. She did her Doctorate at Edinburgh University, and then went to Dunsink in May 1950. The director then was Dr Hermann A Bruck, and there was an instant attraction and they married within two years. After a long career there, the Brucks moved to Scotland, and Maire continued her work there after her husband retired and later died. She has written widely, with a particular interest in British & Irish women in astronomy. One of her best known books is on the well-known astronomer from Skibbereen, Co Cork: "Agnes Mary Clerke and the Rise of Astrophysics", published by Cambridge University Press in 2002.
She retained an interest in astronomy right up to her recent illness, and has given several lectures at various venues in Ireland since the turn of the decade. She was emailing me not long ago about some matter regarding astronomy at Newgrange that she wanted some information about.
She was a charming, intelligent and entertaining lady, and it was always a pleasure to meet her. She is a great loss to Irish astronomy.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Regards,

Michael
Last edit: 15 years 10 months ago by michaeloconnell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
15 years 10 months ago #75298 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re:Dr. Maire Bruck RIP
Marie was a wonderful person , I admired her fiery spirit so much.
She was an inspiration, we had great correspondences up till a few months ago.
Marie to her friends , Mary on her books , her very positive spirit will stay with me always.
Marie was a great friend to the IAS over the years, and was an Honorary Life Member.
Her contribution to astronomy is something to emulate and admire , and I agree with Terry her passing is a great loss to Irish astronomy.

Rest in Peace

Deirdre Kelleghan
President Irish Astronomical Society
PRO IFAS

"When She Shall Die, Take Her and Cut Her Out in Little Stars, and She Will Make the Face of Heaven so Fine That All the World Will Be in Love with Night, and Pay No Worship to the Garish Sun. "
William Shakespeare adapted

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds