K-Tec

Dave Grennan Discovers 2009 EN1 !!

More
15 years 7 months ago #77058 by EPK
Replied by EPK on topic Re:Dave Grennan Discovers 2009 EN1 !!
Here, Grennan...leave some for the rest of us!
Congratulations from us all up here at NIAAS, Dave!

Eamonn

Meade 16" Lightbridge
Tal 6" Newtonian
Meade LXD75 6" Newtonian
Tal 4" Refractor
Panoptic and Nagler eyepieces.
Attitude and Smartassery

For forever and a day I shall chase that white whale - Captain Ahab

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #77059 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re:Dave Grennan Discovers 2009 EN1 !!
Jaysus, its hard enough to see stars once in a while with the weather we have been having - never mind discovering asteroids.:ohmy:
Well done Dave !!

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
15 years 7 months ago #77062 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re:Dave Grennan Discovers 2009 EN1 !!
Many thanks to Michael for posting the info and similar thanks to everyone for the kind wishes.

Certainly discovering an asteroid was a dream in itself and now discovering two is something that I would have considered unthinkable just a few short years ago. It is a testament to dedication of many other amateurs that we have arrived at this point for without the support and encouragement of many many people this would not have been possible. Of course it is not possible to mention everyone but I think a special mention to Mr.Asteroid, Dave McDonald and of course Andreas Doppler and Eamonn Ansboro. Without the support of these guys, this would not have been possible. I also want to say thanks to Carl for his untiring support and encouragement.

The story of 2009 EN1 began last Sunday night. My setup had been out of commission for some time due to a problem with the camera. I was really only getting back up to speed in the last few weeks, but as ye all know the weather has been severely limiting opportunities. Last Sunday was one of the best nights in some time and a really good opportunity to let go at a serious search effort. When I got a hit I felt full sure that this was something that would readily be identified with a known object but the more I looked the more I began to think 'just maybe'.

With all such discoveries nowadays, it is highly likely that one of the big surveys might have gotten a 'one night stand' on this object. Although its never possible to know this for sure, there is a pretty good chance that linear or catalina have one night 'in the bag'. Therefore getting a second night quickly is vital as there is good chance that they will sweep this area again and get a second night which would then give them discovery credit. Monday night looked good on paper, but some might remember that around 9pm the satellite pics showed cloud magically appearing from apparant clear skies. The Moon would be a problem as the week progressed and I must admit, I thought this one might not work out. Thankfully, Tuesday night turned out to be exceptionally transparent although it was rather windy. The new object was easily picked up despite relatively bright moonlight. I've never empirically tested the absolute mag limit of my system (14" SCT and SBIG ST-402 CCD) however I suspect that it must be possible to go fainter than mag +20.0 on good nights. I really must test this hypothesis on such an evening.

Anyway I prepared and submitted the report to the Minor Planet Center and waited and waited until finally I got an e-mail this afternoon it read

DG00002 K09E01N

In short this means "The object you call Dg00002 is now offically 2009 EN1"

Anyway thanks again to everyone for the kind words

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #77063 by Stargate
Replied by Stargate on topic Re:Dave Grennan Discovers 2009 EN1 !!
Hi to Everyone here at IFAS ,

My 1st post , am a new member ( tnx to Thargor for the link to here ) ,
I cant think of a better way to mark a first post than to dedicate it to Mr Dave Grennan
on the recent discovery of asteroid 2009 EN1.

Very impressed to hear this news Dave , Many Many Congrats !!!!!!!!!!! Well Done ,

Stargate
Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by Stargate.

• DaveGrennan
More
15 years 7 months ago #77064 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re:Dave Grennan Discovers 2009 EN1 !!
Hi Stargate,

Many thanks for your very kind words. Your most welcome to the boards, I know you will learn loads here, I know I certainly have. You know it doesn't seem so long at all that I made my first post here. I suppose the success we had with discoveries of late is proof that we as amateurs can take our hobby as far as we want to. Going all out searching for asteroids might not be everyone's cup of tea but its nice to know that it is a possibility if you choose to take that path.

Dave.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
15 years 7 months ago #77066 by mjc
Replied by mjc on topic Re:Dave Grennan Discovers 2009 EN1 !!
Congrats Dave - wonderful work. To do this from an urban site is inspiring.

Welcome Thargor and Stargate - I only joined in the past couple of months and have received a warm welcome - I hope (without doubt) we can learn from our more seasoned astronomers.

Dave, I'm intrigued - the image posted earlier (by Michael) - had trails for other objects yet the asteroid did not trail. How do you track for objects (when not yet discovered) that move differently from the celestial sphere?

Is this a dumb question?

Mark

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds