Sad News - Neil Bone (1959-2009)

• JohnONeill
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
15 years 6 months ago #77912 by JohnONeill
Sad News - Neil Bone (1959-2009) was created by JohnONeill
Another great loss to the world of astronomy with the death of Neil Bone (1959-2009), who died last night.

Neil was an expert in Meteors and the Aurora. He spoke at one of the early IAS/TAS Astrofest in Tullamore in the early 1990s. He again returned to Tullamore (at Annaharvey) a some years later.

Sincere condolences to Gina and family,

John
Vice-President
IAS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #77913 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re:Sad News - Neil Bone (1959-2009)
It is indeed very sad!

There seems to be an epidemic lately with a number of recognized names passing away prematurely.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
15 years 6 months ago #77915 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Sad News - Neil Bone (1959-2009)
Ah, that's a real pity. Nice fella. Such a young man.
An expert in the areas of meteors, aurorae and noctilucent clouds among other subjects.
He had been in poor health the last few years with bowel cancer.
He spoke at COSMOS in 2006 and back in 1993 when it was called Astrofest.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Michael.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
15 years 6 months ago #77916 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re:Sad News - Neil Bone (1959-2009)
I would like to add on behalf of The Irish Astronomical Society my most sincere condolences to the family, friends and admirers of Neil Bone. His books sit on my shelves, and I am sure they also sit on the shelves of very many amateur astronomers around the world.

Deirdre Kelleghan
President Irish Astronomical Society
PRO IFAS

More
15 years 6 months ago #77920 by BrianOHalloran
Replied by BrianOHalloran on topic Re:Sad News - Neil Bone (1959-2009)
Shocked to hear of Neil's passing - very nice guy, and such a great help to a novice meteor observer such as myself back in the day. Will be sorely missed.

Condolences to Neil's family and friends.

More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #77924 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Sad News - Neil Bone (1959-2009)
I just saw this thread now, and I am in shock. I have met Neil on a couple of occassions, including his 2 appearances with TAS at Irish Astrofest and Cosmos. To have lost such a character and enchanting astronomical mind, one that loved, embraced and promoted the simpler side of Astronomy with such energy for the benefit of all, is a great loss. I offer my sympathies to his family and close friends. :(

michaeloconnell wrote:

He had been in poor health the last few years with bowel cancer. He spoke at COSMOS in 2006

That is true, and when I asked him on behalf of TAS/MAC to come over and talk at that time, he relished the challenge to come back to Ireland and do so, saying how he had a great experience in Ireland in the past, and loved every minute of it. I won't forget the observing session on the Friday night of Cosmos '06, when we were all on the grounds of Annaharvey, and Neil and I were scanning through the Leo/Coma Cluster of galaxies in the club's 12 inch Dob. Both of us spared about which was the best looking galaxy. In the end, we both agreed that NGC 4565 was the best edge-on spiral in the group! :)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by Seanie_Morris.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds