K-Tec

IAS Public observing, Jupiter & Moon watch 30th Nov

• calchas
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
14 years 11 months ago #81928 by calchas
IAS are holding a Jupiter Moon watch at Sandymount, Dublin.
irishastrosoc.123bemyhost.com/ for details

Absolutely everyone welcome. I will be there until 8:30pm (look for the tripod) even if the weather clouds us out.

Regards
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #81936 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re:IAS Public observing, Jupiter & Moon watch 30th Nov
30th October I think!

• calchas
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
14 years 11 months ago #81937 by calchas
Yes indeed tonight, 30th October

(Note to self: stop posting after 22:00 :) )

• calchas
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
14 years 11 months ago #81959 by calchas
Well we had great night on the Strand. The day had started with heavy rain and heavier skies. The UK met office satellite images continually promised that the band of cloud was clearing from the west. The skies over Dublin resisted to the last. 19:00 Sandymount car park was awash; 19:30 dry but heavily overcast. Then, dramatically, at 19:45 the moon was trying to push through, so we went for it and set up. By the time I set-up most of the sky was clear.

There were 3 scopes and binoculars pointed at the sky. It was a really good mix making a good range of targets accessible. As well as showing a variety of equipment to anyone interested.

Targets were: the Moon, 90% illuminated, the terminator revealed a old craters younger craters and seas to show people; Jupiter showing good banding in all scopes (but I had a better view last month in the refractor, compared to the 254mm reflector) the 4 Galilean moons beautifully displayed; M45 Pleiades were rising in the east and easy to see visually; Betelgeuse rose mid session looking very orange low through our atmosphere; Double-double in Lyra, seeing didn’t allow us the separate these very well; M42 Orion nebula was a challenge late on, averted vision in the reflector revealed a lot of the nebula through the gloom to the east. Before we started a Chinese lantern made a fly by, or was it a strange unexplained light over south Dublin.

We were visited by: walkers, kids with families, dogs, workers making their way home, and some that came especially to see the event. This is a great way to meet people.

It was one of the best astronomy nights I’ve had. Here is a huge thank-you to all those who turned up to support us and especially the great turn out by club members.

Next watch 27th November, Come and join us.

Clear skies

Calchas

More
14 years 11 months ago #81961 by Calibos
Sounds like a great night was had. I think I'll try and attend the next one with my scope. Famous last words, but finally the scope is nearing completion and usable for the first time since January this year.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
14 years 11 months ago #81963 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re:IAS Public observing, Jupiter & Moon watch 30th Nov
Excellent , nice bit of luck there with the weather , delighted it worked out .

Deirdre Kelleghan

Vice Char IFAS
Outreach IFAS
www.irishastronomy.org/
www.deirdrekelleghan.com/
twitter.com/skysketcher

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds