K-Tec

European Symposium on Occultation Projects - 2010 York, UK

More
14 years 2 months ago #85830 by johnomahony
Please say hello to Konrad Guhl for me if you see him. He is a former work colleague of mine and a good bloke.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Vagelis Tsamis
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
14 years 2 months ago #85831 by Vagelis Tsamis
Sure, we will.
By the way, Konrad Guhl is in the organizing committee of the next ESOP, that will be held in Berlin, Aug 26-30 2011.

Vagelis

Sparta Astronomy Association / Observations Coordinator
International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/

More
14 years 2 months ago #85852 by eansbro
Hi Vagelis,

It was a great symposium. I learnt alot and made new friends.

I was pleasantly surprised at the popularity of such a subject. I hadn't really appreciated it until the latter part of the first day.
I was amazed at the significance that amateur astronomers throughout Europe have played a huge role that surpasses the research carried out by the professionals. The dedicated teams of observers with simple inexpensive equipment can do huge work on asteroids.

I was also surprised that this is very much a European team effort. The Americans are really weak in this area. I also have found that Americans are all into pretty pics and telescopes. No science in using all this wonderful equipment at there disposal.

For a long time having been involved with minor planets (TNOs) in particular and to some extent asteroids. Too realise that we amateurs can obtain 200 times more accuracy than the Keck telescope was an eye opener. To be able to obtain reasonable structural shape of asteroids by this methodology.

Some of the delegates asked me what about observers from Ireland. I told them that there were really was one observer that I knew. We really need new observers from Ireland. Help is there for them. Only have to ask.

This is a field for easy participation with just a video camera and lens or even a small telescope 4 to 8 inch.

Any takers out there. You would be involved with a huge bunch of other amateurs highly enthusiastic about this subject.

Eamonn A

www.kingslandobservatory.com

More
14 years 2 months ago #85878 by JohnONeill
Hi,

Glad you all enjoyed the Occultation Conference. As I am across the pond (with other things on my mind!) at the moment I missed it.

I wonder will there be a report (paper or online) of the proceedings that would include useful material.

Along with Variable Stars and Comets, Asteroid Occultations are my principle scientific observing interests.

John

More
14 years 2 months ago #85887 by eansbro
Hi John,

There will be a proceedings of all the talks. You'll have to go to the website to see when it is available. I believe IOTA ES will have a bumper newsletter which will include other material from the symposium and IOTA (USA). ie. additional articles from both continents.

Eamonn A

www.kingslandobservatory.com

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds