• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
14 years 9 months ago #83169 by lunartic_old
Planned Summer Observing was created by lunartic_old
Hi all

The sleet is falling heavily outside but I'm thinking of warmer days, and nights, ahead. One of my main ambitions, New Year's resolution maybe? for the coming year is to observe the Sagittarius/Scorpius region better than I can do from my back garden, to try and observe so many of the wonderful, and elusive, sights in these constellations. I know it's a time of the year when observing sessions virtually come to a halt due to shorter nights, but I'm wondering if anyone else from SDAS would like to do an all-nighter around May?

Living in south Dublin it will require a spot somewhere down in Wicklow, perhaps even a high location in the mountains that affords a good view of the southern skies. I plan to scout out some locations in the coming months, but does anyone have any ideas where a good spot could be? I had thought of the car park at Brittas Bay, but then remembered that it's locked at night.

If anyone has any ideas or is interested let me know.

Thanks.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #83171 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re:Planned Summer Observing
'09 has been basically an observing free zone for me due to circumstances, moving houses twice, taking on such a huge modding project that the scope was in pieces for most of the year and the usual clear skies only coming at full moon etc.

Well by Summer '10 all of that will be behind me. I'll be on for absolutely everything and anything in terms of observing sessions. If someone wants to head out at first quarter or last quarter-I'll be on for it. If someone wants to go out even though the forcast is suspect-I'll be on for it. If someone wants to head further afield-I'll be on for it. If someone wants to pull all nighters-I'll be on for it.....I think you get the picture.

So Yes. Count me in Paul :D I need to make up for a lost year and for the fact that home observing will be curtailed more in the renovated house than our old house due to streetlights and Rooflines etc I'll want to get out to darker sites with unrestricted views more than ever.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #83172 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re:Planned Summer Observing
I've been checking the OS website for satellite images, does anyone know if the road to the upper of the two Turlough Hill lakes is accessible to the public?

Here's a link:

ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/ma...x#V1,706416,698745,6

Though it might not be possible to site scope anywhere there, there is a car park close by at the Wicklow Gap, see here:

ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/ma...x#V1,707776,700216,6

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by lunartic_old.

More
14 years 9 months ago #83175 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re:Planned Summer Observing
Count me in for the observing Paul.

I think all that is part of the power station. A phone call to the ESB might tell you if it is accesable.

Michael.

More
14 years 9 months ago #83176 by Graham
Replied by Graham on topic Re:Planned Summer Observing
Id be game!

If its the ESB and if they let people in, they might not turn off security lights etc, not sure if they have any but resivoirs these days are in short supply! :P

Graham

More
14 years 9 months ago #83178 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Planned Summer Observing
lunartic wrote:

t I'm wondering if anyone else from SDAS would like to do an all-nighter around May?

Is this an exclusive club, Paul, or can anyone go? ;) I promise I'll be a good boy...

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds