Lecture by Robert Hill in Dublin on October 1st

• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
14 years 4 weeks ago - 14 years 4 weeks ago #86430 by johnflannery
hi all,

I was at the Frontiers of Physics conference in Maynooth on Saturday and all the talks were superb.

First though, I found out that Robert Hill of the Northern Ireland Space Office will speak in Alexandra College, Milltown, Dublin on Friday, October 1st at 6:30pm. Robert's talk is "From Galileo to the Cosmos" and if you have heard Robert give a lecture before then you are promised a very informative and entertaining talk.

All are welcome and the lecture is followed by a reception in the Sharkey Science Building. You can register on the College's web site at alexandracollege.eu/ -- the nearest LUAS service is Milltown and any Dundrum-bound bus (e.g. the 48A or 44) will drop you at the stop directly opposite the College.

Frontiers of Physics Conference
Paul Dolk, from the Netherlands, spoke about the apps available for iPods (and iPhones) to bring science into the classroom. I had a chance play around with some astronomy programs (Sky Voyager by Carina Software, and a Moon atlas) before having to very reluctantly hand back the iPod B) The potential for these hand-held devices is astounding.

Three talks by the Department of Experimental Physics at NUI Maynooth followed late morning and covered work by the Department on the Herschel and Planck space telescopes as well as investigations into the Earth's mesosphere and noctilucent clouds.

We also heard about the newly established Ireland node of the European Space Education Resource Office. They will have a web site live in about four weeks at www.esero.ie

A fascinating talk about the Rev. Nicholas Callan, who had a Professorship at NUI Maynooth in the 19th Century, was a real highlight. Callan is now credited with inventing the induction coil and experimented with many aspects of electricity and magnetism -- including using his students as test subjects! One such student, who was knocked cold after being electrocuted in one of Callan's demonstrations, was later to become Archbishop of Dublin!

I never knew NUI Maynooth also hosted a section of the National Museum where they have a fine collection of scientific instruments and ecclestiastical items. I was especially intrigued by the Jealousy Glass, a monocular device theatre patrons could use to spy on their peers while pretending to be looking at the act on stage. The Glass has a 45-degree mirror set half-way down the tube and a false objective! Read more about the museum at www.nuim.ie/museum/

Hope to see you in Alexandra College on October 1st,

John
Last edit: 14 years 4 weeks ago by johnflannery.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds