K-Tec

Another Irish asteroid -- 30558 Jamesoconnor

More
14 years 1 week ago #86827 by stepryan
well done jimmy, couldn't happen to a better man.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
14 years 1 week ago - 14 years 1 week ago #86855 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re:Another Irish asteroid -- 30558 Jamesoconnor
hi all,

hope everyone had a nice weekend.

I was talking to Jimmy on Saturday night and he is just coming back down to Earth after the presentation last Thursday. I will be collating the various e-mails and congratulations to send on to Jimmy and he would like to acknowledge the good wishes from everyone.

Thanks once again to everyone involved in the background, for all the people who came to the meeting on the night, and to Dave Gradwell for the wonderful talk. I have received a few mails from members who said it was one of the best meetings they had ever been at.

The two photos below are provided by John McConnell;

Jimmy (left) being presented with the citation by John McConnell

John McConnell, Maire O'Connor, Jimmy O'Connor and John O'Neill

Last edit: 14 years 1 week ago by johnflannery.

More
14 years 6 days ago #86874 by eansbro
My sincere congratulations to James. A thoroughly deserved award.

I was on many IAS committees and All Ireland council meetings with James and in particular working with him through the organising of the fifth Congress of the International Union for Amateur Astronomers in Ireland.

Being young and new to the Irish astronomy scene, I learnt alot from James. In particular, no matter what the problems the IAS had during some turbulent years, I always remember James keeping this consistent stability within the IAS. He was very much the ordinary and unassuming man with a huge passion for astronomy and with altruistic motives. The business of the IAS was at the heart of his work, making sure the IAS had a long future. He saw the cause of the IAS was for ordinary folk. From beginners talks to more specialized talks. Its amazing to think that James was in the era when the only Society in Ireland had nearly 20 centres throughout the country (North and South). It certainly has had a long history, in particular the culmination of his book The history of the Irish Astronomical Society 1937 to 2006.

His heart was very much keeping the IAS on a strong footing. His knowledge of IAS constitutional matters was always for the good for Irish astronomy. His consistent contributions in many areas from the publication "ORBIT" to fascinating lectures. His observational work was excellent, having published many times in the professional journal from Armagh/Dunsink Observatory. The close cooperation of professional and amateur astronomers through the original journal of the IAS starting back in 1950 was unique in the world at that time. The list goes on.

I wish James many fruitful years ahead and it was a pleasure to have worked with him.

Eamonn

www.kingslandobservatory.com

More
14 years 6 days ago #86877 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re:Another Irish asteroid -- 30558 Jamesoconnor
My congrats as well for such dedicated and long term service!

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
13 years 11 months ago #87180 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re:Another Irish asteroid -- 30558 Jamesoconnor
That was something very special , sorry I missed out on being there that night.
Very happy for James, one of Ireland's gentlemen.

Deirdre Kelleghan
Vice Chair IFAS

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds