• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
13 years 10 months ago #87293 by DeirdreKelleghan
Call for Participation - LIVE BBC TV Event
Here is the website for the programmes www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wnvpf

The show is already gathering images on Flickr for possible inclusion in the live broadcast
Here - www.flickr.com/groups/1574153@N21/

Got this a few minutes ago re January Global Stargazing Live BBC TV show and AWB participation.

Dear AWB members

On January 3rd, 4th and 5th the BBC will be presenting three special nights of LIVE astronomy.

As Astronomers Without Borders we have been contacted by the BBC to organise live events which the public can participate in.

I am sending a request for AWB members to participate in this event who can offer live webcasts, robotic telescope observing, broadcasting, videocasts, etc which can be offered on the evenings of 3rd, 4th and 5th of January (UK GMT)

The live TV programme will coincide with the alignment of Jupiter and Uranus, a partial solar eclipse and the Quadrantid meteor shower where the public will be inspired by the work of astronomers through a Global TV linkup !

The deadline is 3rd December to propose ideas for a live event so if you wish to participate and can offer something during one all of the nights of 3rd/4th and 5th .............

Well now a bit of a task I would say to offer something LIVE from IFAS clubs but maybe not impossible ?
Participation if only via the flickr groups is participation :-)

Eclipse details en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_January_4,_2011

Any ideas ?? brrrrrrrrrrrr :-)

Deirdre Kelleghan
Vice Chair IFAS
AWB Coordinator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #87295 by Seanie_Morris
Sounds great. With the advent of mobile broadband this could be within reach of clubs that would otherwise be stranded when 'out in the field'. A laptop with a webcam, Skype installed, and some sort of imagination, this could be a really cool way to promote a club. There may even be a way of using something akin to Shoutcast where you can tap in to a server with a live stream and (via a web link) surfers can access your online stream anywhere in the world.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by Seanie_Morris.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 10 months ago #87314 by DeirdreKelleghan
Hi Seanie

During the recent anti bailout march in Dublin , a guy was filming it , and broadcasting it on UPSTREAM TV live, I saw all this via Twitter. I do not have one of these phones (YET) or know how to do this but perhaps some of you do.???

If you do perhaps you could let us know how to go about this so we may be able to set something up in our own areas ? If the hyper link too whatever is being filmed is posted with the hatch tag #BBCstargazing then it becomes part of the programme Twitter stream.

Thanks

Deirdre Kelleghan
Vice Chair IFAS

More
13 years 10 months ago #87329 by Seanie_Morris
It sounds like the same principal, there are many versions, a lot of them free, that allow you to stream live content (in almost real time after some compression) that could then be viewed on a smartphone anywhere in the world. I only mention Shoutast as an example of one I used (though primarily for live online audio broadcasting, not video).

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds