K-Tec

Astronomers of the Future - Duncan Lunan Talks

• astronomersofthefuture
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
13 years 9 months ago #87549 by astronomersofthefuture
Astronomers of the Future - Duncan Lunan Talks was created by astronomersofthefuture
Hi everyone,

My husband and I run an organisation for beginners in Astronomy and Space. Though we live in Glasgow I am orginally from Ireland and my husband loves visiting Ireland. Is there anyone club in Ireland that would be interested in a talk from us please? A small list of my husband's talks is on our website - www.astronomersofthefuture.net - but he has loads more and can tailor a talk to your needs.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Best New Year wishes and clear skies.

Linda

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #87565 by Mike
Hi Linda
I really really really really hope that some people do take this offer up, a unique opportunity indeed. I had the distinct pleasure of meeting with Duncan and Mr. John Braithwaite about 18 months ago in a pub in Glasgow while I was sampling some of the local ales, which of course were quite pleasant indeed:) ! I was astounded not only by the vast amount of good work you guys do for astronomy but also the know how behind it, the stories shared were fascinating and some quite funny.
I came across Duncan’s work only a few short years ago while I was visiting a book store in Glastonbury, I happened to pick up a book which caught my eye, “Man and the Stars”, definitely one of the more fascinating books I have read, hopefully I might be lucky and ask Duncan to sign it when he comes over! Anyways, I am all on for more astronomy collaboration with our fellow astronomers across the sea.

Many clear skies for 2011
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

• astronomersofthefuture
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
13 years 9 months ago #87575 by astronomersofthefuture
Replied by astronomersofthefuture on topic Re:Astronomers of the Future - Duncan Lunan Talks
Hi Mike,

Duncan says it is lovely to hear from you. We would both love the opportunity to come over and do some talks (and for Duncan to catch up on all the news). Duncan says he can send you some updates on "Man and the Stars" if you wish. If you want we could leave our telephone number in our reply to your next message (mind you I think it is somewhere on the website - www.astronomersofthefuture.net ). Hope you have a great New Year and look forward to hearing further from you.

Best wishes

Linda and Duncan

More
13 years 9 months ago #87577 by eansbro
Hi Linda,

Delighted to hear that Duncan and yourself are coming to Ireland.
Duncan's knowledge and experience is wide ranging in astronomy is quite exceptional. I had many a discussion on the famous Epsilon Bootes case to the BIS and I also read “Man and the Stars”. A wake up call for SETI!. How Bernard Lovell at Jodrel Bank turned down the opportunity of not directing the big dish to that location in the sky was appauling. This could have been the first contact signals that mankind has been waiting for, shame on him.
How arrogant some scientists can be.

I've had many a discussion with Duncan over the years in Glasgow, at John Braithwaite's abode or Bon Accord.

I believe an irish audience will have an opportunity of learning astronomy from Duncan with a better perspective.

I know that astronomers do notify IFAS if they plan speaking sessions. It may be possible for a number of clubs & societies in Ireland to arrange a tour. The IFAS chair and secretary would be more informed about this subject than myself.

Wishing you both all the best in your endeavours for 2011
and look forward to meeting you both sometime.

Eamonn

• astronomersofthefuture
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
13 years 9 months ago #87579 by astronomersofthefuture
Replied by astronomersofthefuture on topic Re:Astronomers of the Future - Duncan Lunan Talks
Hello Eamonn,

Many thanks for the kind words and best wishes for New Year to Catherine and
yourself.

I've enjoyed my previous visits to Ireland, events in Dublin, Armagh and
Belfast etc, so I hope that one or more visits can be arranged. I've been
doing a lot of work on my programme of talks in the last year and at the
moment I'm compiling a list of 75 talks I can give - though I can work up
others on request!

Hoping to see you soon,
Duncan and Linda.

Duncan Lunan
Science Writer
Space and Astronomy

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds