K-Tec

NIAAS at Armagh for BBC Stargazing Live

More
13 years 9 months ago #87665 by mia
Well done the NIAAS guys, brilliant effort!! :)

Dave_Lillis wrote:

I think Dara did a great job adding his sence of humour, although I'd bet its not everyone cup of tea.

Understatement of the year, Dave.... look at this link from the BBC Points of View messageboard, I would go on there and slap them but I'm banned from the all of the BBC messageboards.... don't ask!

www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview/NF19515...hread=7970809&skip=0

The Stargazing Live programmes weren't perfect and there were a few inaccuracies but if it gets people interested and looking up, well, that's the main thing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #87668 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:NIAAS at Armagh for BBC Stargazing Live
well to me, this program was aimed at people who know little to nothing about astronomy, adding a sense of humour like Dara did would keep people entertained and stop them falling asleep or changing the channel.
However, it was obvious how the guy Dara visited (with the inclining chair and bollard avoidance exercises) was not smiling along to Dara's jokes, sure he takes his job seriously but he was not going to lower himself (it looked to me) to laughing along to Dara's jokes, I would have cut that piece completely from the show cos of that. Dara wasnt belittling the guy or his work.

I thought Brian and Dara worked well together, with a few occasion where Brian's reaction was along the lines of "funny guy, brave man for saying that", but I can definitely see a group of people who would not see a mix of humour and science as appropriate. To them I'd say, dont like abit of humour?, then go watch a discovery channel documentary.
Welldone to the BBC for an interesting and entertaining show.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by dave_lillis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds