Star-party at National Space Center Elfordstown Cork

• Ibecake
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
12 years 10 months ago #91558 by Ibecake
Hi
I'm not a member of any society but i was wondering if anybody else thinks that a starparty at the National Space Center Elfordstown would be great idea. I have been up there a couple of times and every time I think it would be a brilliant place for a star-party its amazing. you have a fairly dark site with a clear run of the sky apart from the dishes. I'm sure if someone talked to the people at Blackrock Observatory it could be organised.
Here's hoping.
Ciaran.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #91559 by R Newman
Hi

I doubt it very much, our club were the first group allowed into the actual enclosure and security is a high priority as the dishes are extremely expensive, the site is also run by a private company.

Ronan Newman
Galway AC

• Ibecake
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #91560 by Ibecake
It was my understanding that the dish was bought by cit in conjunction with Blackrock Observatory and that both would run it but i have been known to be wrong.
Ciaran
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Ibecake.

More
12 years 10 months ago #91561 by Seanie_Morris
Sounds interesting Ciaran, have you a contact you can ask more information about such a venture down there?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
12 years 10 months ago #91565 by eansbro
Hi Ciaran,

It is a private company that owns the site and dishes.

CIT and BRO do not own the site or dishes. However, CIT/BRO funded the horn antenna for 10k euros.

I understand that the main dishes may be used for space debris research within a EU project plus other projects in Astrophysics.

Eamonn A
www.kingslandobservatory.com

• Ibecake
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
12 years 10 months ago #91566 by Ibecake
Anyways it doesn't matter who owns it (i was wrong :blush: ) it's as cool as hell and it would be a great spot for a Starparty even if it was in the field beside it. I dont know anybody involved ill ask next time im in BCO so i guess this is where it will end for the time being.
Ciaran

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds