K-Tec

Dave Grennan - another explosive discovery!

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #94733 by dmcdona
Folks,

The weather has been atrocious lately and we're not really into the season proper yet. So, this is a particularly well-deserved discovery. I'm sure Dave Grennan will fill in all the fine details but here's the short version:

2012 EJ is a type 1C supernova. It was discovered by Dave Grennan (Raheny Observatory, MPC J41) just after midnight on 22nd August. Reported in CBET 3210, 2012EJ is located in IC2611 (Lynx).

Dave can fill you in on the (what seems a) lengthy delay in confirmation (Dave only just found out this evening) but certainly this is a brilliant start to the new season and yet another well-deserved and very well earned discovery from Dave.

Dave is the only Irishman to have discovered a Supernova from Ireland - and this is his second. Given his phenomenal work-rate, I think we can expect more in the future.

I have to say from a personal point of view that Dave's commitment to his Supernova Search program is incredible and this is a very richly deserved reward. So many congratulations from me Dave and from everyone here on IFAS - this is yet another top-drawer moment for you.

Dave
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by dmcdona.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #94735 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: Dave Grennan - another explosive discovery!
Congratulations Dave. Excellent news.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by johnomahony.

More
12 years 1 month ago #94736 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: Dave Grennan - another explosive discovery!
Well done Dave,

Michael.

More
12 years 1 month ago #94737 by mykc
Congratulations Dave, it's a fantastic achievement.

Mike

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
12 years 1 month ago #94739 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Dave Grennan - another explosive discovery!
Many thanks guys for the kind words and special thanks to Dave Mc for posting. To say I'm chuffed to bits about this is an understatement. This was possibly the luckiest discovery ever. On the night in question clouds interrupted my survey when I had taken 117 images. This appeared on image 117 of 117. Images 112 - 116 were ruined by cloud. As it turned out a professional survey at Moscow State university had imaged this galaxy 2.3days before my discovery but their automatic detection system did not detect it due to clouds. So it does seem that I was destined for this one! If you want all the details and see some images etc I've written it all up on my website. But of course IFAS is a special place for me so here's the discovery image as it appeared on my screen;

...and a link to the full story and gorey details! (will be updated over the next day or so with links etc)

Of course none of these discoveries would be possible if it wasn't for the help and support of all the guys here and in the UK who do such great work and are so willing to share their time and knowledge so freely. This one's for you guys!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here
The following user(s) said Thank You: StephenK, michael_murphy

• DaveGrennan
More
12 years 1 month ago #94740 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Dave Grennan - another explosive discovery!
PS look at the top right corner of the above image to see just how close I was to being clouded over for this image!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds