K-Tec

Dave Grennan - another explosive discovery!

More
12 years 1 month ago #94742 by RandomPillars
Replied by RandomPillars on topic Re: Dave Grennan - another explosive discovery!
Nothing lucky there it seems. Dedication, perseverance and skills to be sure.

Many congrats.

Sean

"... quit trying to upset and disturb Dr. Venkman..."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #94745 by StephenK
Congratulations Dave :rock: , and us only talking about the first one you had there a few weeks ago.

Hard work, paying off!

Stephen.

Stephen Kershaw
Ktec Telescopes Ltd
085 - 228 8692
sales@ktectelescopes.ie
www.ktectelescopes.ie
www.facebook.com/ktectelescopes
www.twitter.com/ktectelescopes

More
12 years 1 month ago #94747 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: Dave Grennan - another explosive discovery!
Great news Dave, many congratulations.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
12 years 1 month ago #94754 by mjc
Nice one Dave!

And thank you for the fuller story on your web-page - it is a reminder that discoveries don't really happen without a lot tenacity.

I am sure there will be more...

Mark C.

More
12 years 1 month ago #94757 by pauld
Dave Greenan talks about on the Beeb:
news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9747000/9747292.stm

Paul (my first post)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveGrennan, Graham

More
12 years 1 month ago #94758 by eansbro
Well done Dave,

Funny enough I woke up this am turned on BBC and there you were. This is great publicity for astronomy with a wide audience which may inspire many young people into astronomy.

I also hope this inspires others on IFAS to take up the gauntlet. There must be quite a few Go To telescopes in 10 to 14 inch range plus CCDs in Ireland that could be used and try there hands in supernova hunting. The more telescopes imaging these galaxies the higher chance of discovery. Although Dave imaged 2800 galaxies with one telescope, how about 10 telescopes imaging 10,000 galaxies. (1000 galaxies per telescope. This is really possible within one nights observation. Statistically works out to about 3 supernovae discoveries in one night. A group of telescopes takes images while another group analyses the images for suspected candidates.

Of course we did have an IFAS AOP programme initiated by Dave Mc Donald to hunt for supernovae about 5 yaers ago. This could be resurected again if an enthusiatic group within IFAS is interested.
You will be surprised that the help and expertise is here in IFAS to do this kind of observational research. If your interested let us know.

Eamonn A

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds