Guy Consolmagno to give a talk in Dublin on March 21st, 2013

• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
11 years 11 months ago #95566 by johnflannery
hi all,

I know it's very early notice, but I can now officially confirm that we have secured a lecture to be given by Br Guy Consolmagno SJ on March 21st, 2013. This will be the inaugural Michael J. Cummins Memorial Lecture which will be an annual event where we hope to invite high-profile speakers.

Br Guy needs no introduction to the astronomy community as he has co-authored “Turn Left at Orion”, one of the best known astronomy books available, and regularly pens articles on Science for many publications. He is curator of the Vatican Meteorite Collection and sits on a number of international committees dealing with solar system bodies and planetary nomenclature.

Br Guy has twice before given a public lecture on astronomy in Gonzaga and it is wonderful that he will make this return visit to Ireland. More details will follow in due course about the event.

Michael Cummins is a former member who passed away last year. Through the generosity of his wife Ethnea we have been able to set up the Memorial Lecture series.

I would love this occasion to be an opportunity for all the clubs in Ireland and IFAS to showcase the hobby of astronomy and I welcome any ideas on setting up an exhibition in Gonzaga on the night.

talk soon,

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #95578 by Seanie_Morris
Pencilled in to my 2013 diary. Br. Guy doesn't disappoint in his delivery!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds