• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
11 years 8 months ago #96546 by johnflannery
Some older "For Sale" ads now locked was created by johnflannery
hi all,

I have locked some older "For Sale" ads that people were replying to. A few posters mentioned these threads seemed to be defunct so there was no point in keeping the topics active. Drop me a PM if you wish to re-open a particular thread.

I'm not sure if the subject can be changed on a thread after it's posted, but if an item is sold could you change the thread to indicate this? Cheers! I'm guilty of not flagging some of my own threads in this way :gramps:

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #96547 by Pat_Dunne
Replied by Pat_Dunne on topic Re: Some older "For Sale" ads now locked
I help run and maintain a forum (powered by phpBB) which has a large For Sale section to it and I recall a similar situation arising a number of years ago with users dragging up really old post/ads.

Within the Forum Control Panel (Forums Section) the Admin person could set up a preference whereby a post would have a predetermined shelf life. How this works, is that following the last activity on a post a clock is set running and if there is no activity after the predetermined number of days, say, 30, 60, or 90, the post automatically deletes itself. It is then up to the user to re-list their ad if they wish. This can be done for individual forum sections such as the For Sale section and doesn't have to apply to the forum as a whole.

It is now running very successfully on the forum I help out with for a number of years.

I am sure a similar system could be set up to be operated on this forum, a secondary bonus is that It also is a good tool to assist with the management of server space.

Celestron CPC 9.25
Celestron Ultima LX 8mm, 13mm, 17mm, 22mm, 32mm.
Starlight Microfocuser
A full set of Snickers Thermals
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by Pat_Dunne.

More
11 years 8 months ago #96553 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Some older "For Sale" ads now locked

skynotes wrote: I'm not sure if the subject can be changed on a thread after it's posted, but if an item is sold could you change the thread to indicate this? Cheers! I'm guilty of not flagging some of my own threads in this way :gramps:

I usually do that every week or so John. I've not gone back as far as some of the old posts that got dug up recently though.

The idea of locking old posts is a good one though. I'll try and lock everything older than 6 months for a start :)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
11 years 8 months ago #96558 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Some older "For Sale" ads now locked
Sounds good to me Albert.

And, as far as I am aware, the original poster of a post/thread CAN edit the subject line at any time: so, the word 'SOLD!' can be added in the title when a transaction has been completed.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
11 years 8 months ago #96569 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Some older "For Sale" ads now locked
There doesn't seem to be a way to bulk lock threads unfortunately, only to bulk delete them. I don't want to do that as it's useful to be able to search to get guide prices for things etc.

The original poster of a thread can edit the subject line as Seanie says, and we'd encourage people to do that. Otherwise please at least add a post saying that the items were sold and a moderator will come along and edit the subject for you later.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds