Sandymount Observing on Friday 15th February 2013

• michael_murphy
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 8 months ago #96692 by michael_murphy
Hello All,

A bit late I know but the weather was looking dreadful all week and is only looking promising(ish) now.

Just a note to let you know that the IAS will be holding our monthly Sidewalk Astronomy on Friday 15th February.
It will be held as usual at the Martello tower in Sandymount at 8PM.

Please be sure to check our website after 6PM on the day to check that the event is going ahead.

Regards,

Michael.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #96697 by katata
How would that spot in Sandymount be for spotting DA14 in binoculars after 8?

More
11 years 8 months ago #96698 by lunartic_old
The view over the Irish Sea is to the east, therefore the asteroid should be visible, the skyglow from Dun Laoghaire might interfere.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
11 years 8 months ago #96699 by flt158
I get the feeling dozens of people hassled Met Eireann getting them to revise their weather forecast for the evening -especially over the Dublin area. I can see the Plough as I send this message.

Aubrey.

More
11 years 8 months ago #96725 by flt158
This is my report as to what happened down at the Martello Tower, Sandymount last night from 8 to 11 pm.
About 7 observing instruments were used, and about 100 people joined us during the evening. It was great to see Liam Smyth, Bob O'Brien, Paul Byrne, Brian, Paul Walsh, Val Dunne and David Laing among so many others.
70% of the sky was completely clouded out -so we just observed Jupiter and a 6 day old waxing crescent Moon.
Regarding Jupiter at 140X, Io and Ganymede were on the left side of the planet, and Europa and Callisto on the right hand side. At 21.50 Europa passed in front of Jupiter, and could be seen for a full 15 minutes subsequently on the disc-amazing!
The Great Red Spot was visible. 4 belts were visible at 140X. They were the North Equatorial, the Southern Equatorial, the North Temperate, and the South Temperate belts.
Then we looked at the Moon. At 112X, Theophilus was right on the terminator. The interior of the crater was in darkness, but the rim was completely illuminated. Fracastorius, Madler, Isidorus and Capella were observed also.
Lastly, a little gem of a crater for you lunar observers: Torricelli which is shaped like a pear. The crater is 23 Km in diameter.
Considering how cloudy the evening was, all in all we were greatly entertained and the chat was mighty.

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Marto

• michael_murphy
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 8 months ago #96726 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: Sandymount Observing on Friday 15th February 2013
Hi Aubrey,

Nice to hear you had a good evening despite the weather.
I was stuck in work and couldn't get there.

Michael.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds