• michael_murphy
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #97350 by michael_murphy
Sandymount Observing on Friday 19th April 2013 was created by michael_murphy
Hello All,

Just a note to let you know that the IAS will be holding our monthly last Sidewalk Astronomy of the season on Friday 19th April.
It will be held as usual at the Martello tower in Sandymount at 8PM.

All are welcome.

Regards,

Michael.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by michael_murphy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #97353 by flt158
Count me in, Michael. Let's make it a good one and finish late seeing it is the last one.

Aubrey.

More
11 years 6 months ago #97356 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: Sandymount Observing on Friday 19th April 2013
I plan to be there.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
11 years 6 months ago #97357 by PaulWalsh
I will be there too along with Joshua.

• michael_murphy
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 6 months ago #97359 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: Sandymount Observing on Friday 19th April 2013
Good to hear Guys,

see you there.

Michael.

More
11 years 6 months ago #97371 by flt158
It was great to spend one more evening down at the Martello Tower Sandymount with my 6.2" apochromatic refractor and its guidescope. Valerie and I met up with Michael Murphy, Paul (Lunartic), Bob O'Brien, Liam Smyth, Val Dunne, Paul Walsh and his son Joshua, and Robin. This is my report of what we saw.
1. 9 day old Gibbous Moon using 40X and 112X. We observed Copernicus right on the terminator. The centre of the crater was in complete darkness as the Sun had not yet shone into it. Rupes Recta was on view as a black line, and I could see a lovely un-named mountain range extending out the crater Eratosthenes -quite a nice view. The "ghost" crater Stadius could just be seen nearby.
2. Jupiter's 4 moons were all east of the planet: Io, Europa, Callisto and Ganymede from left to right.
3. M44 (Beehive) star cluster observed at 11X and 40X.
4. Loveliest object of the night for me was Zeta Cancri (Tegmine). We could see all 3 components at 280X and 320X. We enjoyed it very much.
5. And lastly, Saturn, low down in the east with Titan and Rhea observed at 112X and of course the rings.

I would like to thank Michael for organizing the event. We all went home very happy.

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, PaulWalsh

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds