IFAS Council and New Chair

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 6 months ago #97405 by dmcdona
IFAS Council and New Chair was created by dmcdona
Folks - many apologies for the tardiness of this post but work has kept me tied up for the last week.

It has been a pleasure (and sometimes a challenge) serving on the IFAS Council in various guises for the last number of years. For what is a totally amateur group and manned solely by volunteers, I think IFAS has done very well indeed. Of course, I take little credit for that myself. I "inherited" the chair from Michael O'Connell who had not only kept the organisation going but pushed it forward (e.g. Solar Fest). Over the following three years, we helped drive a number of outreach programmes (teaching in schools) and continued to support the affiliated clubs as much as possible. This was of course all carried out in the midst of a deep economic downturn - I'm sure the number of "For Sale" items unfortunately rocketed. However, there now seems to be light at the end of the tunnel and please God, we're approaching the end of austerity and can look forward to better times in the coming years.

So, Seanie Morris is now the new Chair of IFAS and on a personal level, I can honestly say that not only are we in a safe pair of hands but with Seanie's bubbling enthusiasm and seemingly unending drive (COSMOS was simply superb), I foresee IFAS making further strides under his leadership.

Of course, no more than Seanie would say that COSMOS is a team effort (and it surely is), so is pushing IFAS forward. Dee continues on the Council and with her own drive and passion for outreach and especially her artwork, she will be a great support for Seanie. Of course, Bernie, were would IFAS be without you? I think the Treasurer's role is possibly the least glamorous position - chasing money is not fun... But Bernie has kept the accounts spick and span and has agreed to continue (what were you thinking?). Albert, whilst an innocent bystander looking for a soft place to rest, has found himself on the Council - and based on his many years of support to IFAS and ILPAC, no better person.

So, IFAS has a new council that is well able for whatever the next few years bring. But of course, they need *your* support and *your* ideas to make the organisation work best for all the people that 'belong'. So I would encourage the Club Reps and indeed, everyone else, to throw your full weight behind them and make sure IFAS continues to flourish and remains the premier organisation serving amateur astronomers in Ireland and beyond.

I thank the Council for all their support over the last three years and to everyone else for the privilege of serving.

Go raibh míle, míle maith agaibh!

Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanie_Morris, nectarine, johnomahony, artyfarty, PaulWalsh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #97416 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: IFAS Council and New Chair
Thanks for those kind words Dave. The work you have done over the past 3 years has been exemplary, especially for those reading this that (unfortunately) don't get to see what goes on behind the scenes. The shoes left for me to fill by you and those before you are pretty big! I plan to continue the good work on behalf of IFAS to the best of my abilities.

Should anyone have any suggestions, concerns or comments, please get in touch with me at any time.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds