• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
11 years 4 months ago #97695 by johnflannery
Observing session in Wicklow (May 29th) was created by johnflannery
hi all,

A few of us are going to head to the Sugarloaf Car Park in Wicklow this evening (Wednesday, May 29th) to catch another view of the planetary conjunction in the evening sky. We'll be there from 9pm -- sunset is at 9:39pm BST.

Some info ...
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #97698 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Re: Observing session in Wicklow (May 29th)
Good decision, John. See you up there for yet another observing session. Let us hope the clouds don't spoil the show.

Aubrey.

• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #97718 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Observing session in Wicklow (May 29th)
hi everyone,

Hope you were all successful in observing the continuing conjunction last night.

Paul, Valerie & Aubrey, Ken, Michael, and myself all met up at the Sugarloaf Car Park in Wicklow around 9pm on Wednesday night.

A beautiful sunset just after 9:30pm (all times BST) had us all anticipating a good view of the planetary trio. Some nice crepuscular rays and an unusual counter-glow below the setting sun were interesting phenomena to note before Mercury, Venus, and Jupiter took centre-stage.

To be honest, I was a bit nervous at this time of a cloud-bank that seemed to sit over the western skyline and was seriously considering driving over the mountains to a more westerly location. However, Ken soon allayed my fears with his confidence that we would get a clear view of the conjunction.

First sighting of one of the planets was at 9:45pm. For some time we were sure it was Venus against the bright sky but then were astonished to discover it was Mercury we had been looking at instead! The planet was pretty bright but once a strip of cloud moved away we could then spy Venus and Jupiter, correcting our original error!

All 3 planets could not fit completely in the 4.5-degree field of view of my 15x70mm binoculars. I was really surprised how much Jupiter was dimmed by atmospheric extinction.

Jupiter winked out first and set behind a distant ridge. It was a very brownish-orange colour against the twilit glow. Venus was next to set and we followed it as it slowly sank towards the horizon. The thicker layers of atmosphere really caused it to appear reddish-yellow at this time. I watched the planet up to the moment it set and was rewarded by a green flash of Venus! Not a pure emerald green but a very pale hue, yet distinct all the same.

We continued to seek out Mercury now and again just to have a last sighting of it before it was gone for the night. By now we were also seeing a number of satellites creeping across the sky. There were a number of nice sightings as they vied with lower down traffic in and out of Dublin Airport. One particular satellite brought gasps of delight as it intermittently flashed brilliantly during its slow tumble across the heavens. I must try confirm this object via the heavens-above.com web site.

I had a look at a few binocular doubles -- the paralleogram of Lyra is particularly interesting with 3 of the 4 stars that make up the pattern being double. Delta 1 & 2 Lyrae are part of a loose assocation called Stephenson 1. I also swept up M13 at this time while a brief stab of light was the only meteor we noticed on the night.

Most of the group left around 11pm when we were seeing Scorpius low in the southeast, a sign of sights towards the galactic centre to entice us out observing during the summer months.

I lingered a bit after the rest had gone home, savouring the darkening sky and just thinking about how much I had missed observing and the camaraderie of doing so with the rest of the group. I have done more observing in the last week than in at least the last three years. Various committments to clubs and organisations have meant not getting out actually looking up at the sky. Most of these have been shed and I'm really glad to get back rediscovering why I love this hobby,

john
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by johnflannery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, lunartic_old, mykc

More
11 years 4 months ago #97721 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Re: Observing session in Wicklow (May 29th)
Great report, John, and great excitement for us all. Valerie is still celebrating on this lovely sunny afternoon! It was my 3rd and final time to enjoy this wonderful astronomical event. Even with that cloud constantly testing our patience, I greatly appreciated the beauty of these 3 great planets sitting in the sky all within 6 degrees of one another. With my 70mm apo guidescope at 11X, I succeeded to fit them all in one field of view. I have seen this week long event now 3 times in 6 days -so its time to move on.
I especially enjoyed having you with us, John, with great chat altogether. You are welcome to any observing session, whether it's at the Sugarloaf or at Sandymount. I aim to invite people down to Sandymount on Friday 14th June to observe the Moon and Saturn. Perhaps some of us can revisit the Sugarloaf before that.

Aubrey.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds