K-Tec

astro photography

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #15340 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: astro photography

Jed/Bart,

I agree- 512 is not a monster, 1GB isn't either, and if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg why not? But anything over 1GB just isn't necessary IMO. -you won't notice any significant speed increase.

I would have to agree there. If you never have to page to disk then a RAM upgrade will make no more difference. With my 1GB on my home machine I don't see any paging to disk so sticking another Gig in to it would make no difference at all, it would just be a waste of money!

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• darren
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #15362 by darren
Replied by darren on topic astro photography
Hi guys would like to thank you all for your input will take it on board
darren

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #15377 by dpower
Replied by dpower on topic Re: astro photography
well I think that just about covers the RAM issue :D

IFAS web team

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #15397 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: astro photography
Dave P - can you get different types of RAM? I'm sure you used to be able to. DDR rings a bell....

And you thought the RAM question was over....

:D

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #15400 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: astro photography

Dave P - can you get different types of RAM? I'm sure you used to be able to. DDR rings a bell....

And you thought the RAM question was over....

:D

There are loads of differnt types of RAM but it is your mother board that decides what type you need to get rather than your preference!

Getting extra RAM for an existent machine can be a real mine field and if you have lost the documentation for your Mother Board or if the nice people who sold you the computer didn't give it to you in the first place then you are pretty much down to hoping and guessing and crossing your fingers!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #15401 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: astro photography

Getting extra RAM for an existent machine can be a real mine field and if you have lost the documentation for your Mother Board or if the nice people who sold you the computer didn't give it to you in the first place then you are pretty much down to hoping and guessing and crossing your fingers!

Bart.

Not at all. You can find out the type and speed of the RAM from the BIOS in 95% of cases. Then you give the lovely people in shop4memory in Celbridge a ring and buy the same type. Even the ones that don't tell you the speed of the ram will tell you the bus speed of the board so you can work it out anyway. You need to know the processor speed as well but Windoze will tell you that. Most motherboards support various bus/cpu speeds and that determines the type of ram you need not necessarily the board itself.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds