North America Nebula Attempt - help?

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 11 months ago #16009 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Wise words there gents, I'll try for a longer focal length when I save enough up for a decent lens, as for the moon, it's moving well out of the way now, so I'll hopefully capture another image to compare against this, this week. The 85mm f1.8 USM lens used here is a very sharp astro-lens!

As for removing the IR filter...hmmm, i've looked at that, but I need a lot of tutoring 1st :?

H-alpha filters are expensive, I suppose it depends on one's own willingnes to decide on how far they want to go, I'll just save for that lens for now :)

Keith how long can you track without errors ??

About 10mins max if all is really tight, polar alignment, scope alignment, new battery for the motor....

You know what, bring back film! I'd have that nebula for dead :D

:P Keith..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 11 months ago #16013 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: North America Nebula Attempt - help?
Keith,

I'm really looking forward to seeing a Moon free version of that image. I have a feeling I'm gonna have a new wallpaper for my desktop:)

I also hope you dont take any of my previous comments as detracting from a really great image in the first place.

As for the tracking thing. Ever consider an autoguider? I dont know if you read my posts about building a home brew autoguider which would give you virtually unlimited trail free tracking. I was just saying to the missus tonight that mine is the best investment I've ever made in astro equipment.

As for removing the IR filter, I advise caution. A couple of times I've been tempted. A few reads through some tutorials on it and the mood leaves me very quickly. It's not the procedure that scares me, its the difficulty in using the camera for normal photography afterwards that worries me!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 11 months ago #16039 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: North America Nebula Attempt - help?
Keith,
I took a go at processing the image. let me know what you think. FWIW, I have a tendency to overprocess images sometimes, so if I've done it here, le tme know.

More
18 years 11 months ago #16052 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: North America Nebula Attempt - help?
You know, I think its down to what was used to be abe to see the North American Nebula. I have never been able to spot it with instruments at my disposal. And last night after the TAS meeting, Leo and I were trying to spot it in the ETX-70. Then I thought, whats the point. The problem is filters. I think between Keith and Mikes images here, thats as good as its going to get - otherwise, you got to start using H-alpha filters to bring up the red.
A basis for this oservation is that, unless you know the shape of the nebula you are looking for here, its hard to spot with the untrained/unknowing eye.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 11 months ago #16083 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Thanks for your interest in the post guys :D

Dave, I've never used an autoguider, I know the basics about their operation, but do you know if one is compatible with just an ordinary C8 mount? There is no automatic control for declination in this mount. As for removing the IR Filter, as I've said, I think i'll leave that one alone :?

Michael, The nebula looks better in your processed shot, it's alot darker, Ihope i can get something like this for real soon with the moon out of the way!

Seanie, I've only ever once - ever - made out the north america nebula with the naked eye, some years ago under superb dark skies, and just a handful of times with binoculars under excellent transp[arency. This is really hard visually, unless your skies are super clear and transparent, you probably won't make it out at all :(

Keith.

More
18 years 11 months ago #16089 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: North America Nebula Attempt - help?
Michael,
thats about pretty much all I got out of it also.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds