K-Tec

On the edge

More
18 years 11 months ago #16385 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: On the edge
Nice image! I stumbled across this galaxy a while ago when I was playing with one of the TIE telescopes but I can't seem to find my image of it now. I do remember it really impressing the students though because lets face it, this is one cool looking galaxy!

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago #16386 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Nice job Dave, This looks like a greta galaxy to image/observe, it's a top target, though i've never managed to see it yet! This gives me the urge :D

Well done,
Keith.

More
18 years 11 months ago #16388 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: On the edge
This galaxy is one of my personnel favourites and i regularily pick it up while conducting my own comet search with the 16" at 57X , it looks all the more special to me when i see your superb image of it Dave.

Im glad you are experimenting with galaxy numbers...a very good sign :D Please keep me informed of your progress as i am very interested. Would you consider imaging galaxies within 90* of the sun and low in the sky to escape the competition from other SN partols?

I hope it evolves into an Irish SN patrol (a first). Heres some searching advice from Gene Shoemaker....

' Search as much sky as possible, keep good records and statstics, take advantage of gaps in the clouds and never, never give up!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #16410 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: On the edge
Hi Martin - sure enough that 16" is a beast!

I'm not sure what the best strategy is for SN searching - but you're right that avoiding areas of sky currenly patrolled by the automated searches would probably be more fruitful. But then how do you find out the areas that they patrol? These are all good questions and will help determine if and how we get something off the ground here in Ireland!

And Shoemaker's quote is inspiring - and dead right!

I'm currently looking at the stategies that are used by SN programmes (at least the ones that are published anyhow). I hope to get to talk to folks about it tomorrow at Whirlpool. So, we may be in a position next week to get some detail around the possibilty of starting something off.

I'll keep everyone informed!

Cheers

Dave McD

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 11 months ago #16528 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: On the edge
Flaming Nora, Dave, great. The detail is extraordinary. Looks like your gonna need a bigger chip!!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #16530 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: On the edge
To go with the big head, I presume? :wink:

Cheers Dave - thought you might like it.

Dave

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds