Some advice for imaging needed

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 11 months ago #16717 by Keith g
Some advice for imaging needed was created by Keith g
Hi all, now that Mars season is well and truly underway (nice shots btw), it's time I get off my backside and do something about imaging through my C8 instead of piggybacking on top of it! :lol:

Here's my dilemma, I have a canon 300d plus a canon t-mount, all i need is the t-ring to fit onto the scope, would this be good enough for deep sky/planetary imaging??? Would you advise getting the f6.3 focal reducer also?

Or - would I be better off going for the Phillips Toucam Pro II / Meade's Deep sky Imager?? Forgive me for the stupid question but - I assume you need a laptop with you when using these?, since I don't have one, that would sway my decision a bit. I've been looking over some posts using both options and look impressive!

So which is best in you opinion?
Thanks,
Keith.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago #16720 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Some advice for imaging needed
The DSI does need a PC or laptop within a 15 feet of the imager (unless you invest in USB booster(s)) I'd assume webcams are similar.

I'm not sure of the ability of the chip in the 300D to do deep sky. This depends on the sensitivity of the chip across the range of visible light. I know there are web sites out there that have galleries of astro images taken with DSLR's and some are fairly impressive. I think some of the folks here have that information and can point you to them. That will give you a good idea of tha ability of the camera.

I'd be pretty sure that it would be OK for planetary imaging...

As for a focal reducer, that depends :D. this link is useful:

www.multimediamadness.net/wodaski/pick_a_camera.htm

Download the visual basic version - it has more functionality than the web page. You'll need the details of the scope (easy) but you also need details of the chip in the 300D - pixel size and chip dimensions. When you plug all these values in, you'll get simulated images showing the FOV your setup will produce. If it looks really small, then a reducer may be beneficial. But do the research before you fork out 100 quid for a reducer.

Personally, I think the DSI (and the DSI Pro without the filter set) offer superb value for money, if you already have a laptop. If you don't, then you need to factor that cost in. Webcams, especially the modified versions(a la Dave Grennan), offer superb value for money too. But again, the laptop question arises.

If I were you, I'd cut my teeth on the 300D for a few weeks and see what it can do. There's a lot more to just imaging than taking a picture so you'll learn techniques that will stand you in good stead, regardless of the imager you eventually use. By the way, MaximDL are offering a 30 day trial on their DSLR software - this will capture the images for you, calibrate the images and so on. The Canon EOS is supported, as are Nikon DLSRs.

www.cyanogen.com/products/maxdslr_main.htm

Finally, just on the laptop question.... There is a product out there that enables you to connect to a USB hub via ethernet. Basically, the hub (a small box) can be at the telescope. You can then attach to it by an ethernet cable that plugs into your PC - which can be 100's of feet away. Its cheaper than a laptop but is not cheap. I think it was around $300. Unfortunately, it seems only to support USB 1.1 at the mo but as with anything technological, they'll get it to USB 2.0 at some point. If this interests you, I can dig out the info.

HTH....

Cheers

Dave

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 11 months ago #16722 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Dave, thanks for the quick reply, you know your stuff! I'll take your advice about the 300D, i'll buy a humble t-ring for now, but i'm going to hunt for a good laptop, i saw the maxim dl trial, and seems good, here comes the steep learning curve!

Thanks, Keith..

More
18 years 11 months ago #16728 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Some advice for imaging needed
Good choice on the humble T-ring :D Although steep, the learning curve is palatable becasue of the wealth of advice out there in cyberland - many much moreknowledgable than me :wink:

By the way Keith DO NOT download MaximDSLR until the last minute - the 30 day clock starts when you download it - not when you install it!

The best of luck and keep us posted on your progress. I'd love to see some of those images when you get a chance.

Cheers

Dave

More
18 years 11 months ago #16730 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Some advice for imaging needed
Keith,
I've tried the 300D on objects like the orion nebula, M57, M81, M27, M13, M31, ngc 869 etc... its well able to get these brighter DSO, I havent tried any very faint objects like mag 14 galaxies.
The major advantage over the DSI is that it has a much bigger field of view, where the DSIs big advantage is that its much more sensitive to light.

I've tried the 300D on Jupiter and it does not do it well, the toucam blows it out of the water.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds