K-Tec

focusing a canon d60? Does anybody else use one?

• SeanOSullivan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 11 months ago #16890 by SeanOSullivan
hello all,
It's been a while since I tried to get this to work, but here we go again. I am trying to get a canon d60 to focus on any object in the sky. I am using the t-ring and t-adapter with the camera and putting it into either a 6" relfector or a 4" refractor. I have even used a barlow lens to try and focus in on objects but no matter what i do, NO JOY! Even if I could find out that the camera is not suitable for astrophotography I could stop wasting my time.

Cheers :cry:

Sean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago #16891 by dave_lillis
Hi Sean,
One thing you must understand is that when you have the eyepiece in the telescope and focused and then swap if for the camera, the camera will be miles out of focus, try focusing the camera in daytime first on a distant object, its much easier.
You might find that both of the telescopes you are using might not have enough travel in the focuser to focus the camera, this might be your problem,

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• SeanOSullivan
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 11 months ago #16892 by SeanOSullivan
Replied by SeanOSullivan on topic Re: focusing a canon d60? Does anybody else use one?
Hi Dave,
I have tried focusing it during the day and no joy! I have recently bought the philips toucam 11 and that focuses in like a charm, but it's the pixel size that I'm after. I would imagine that it is your second idea that is the problem. Is there anyway any way around the focusing lenght problem.

Cheers

More
18 years 11 months ago #16895 by mjs
Dave is correct in his reply. With an eye piece focused you will need at least 45 mm of in travel left to reach the focus point for an SLR. This is not usually a problem for refractors.

P.S. Just make sure that you remove the right-angle adaptor (star diagonal) This should give you focus.

Michael Scully (KAC)

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds