K-Tec

Getting into photography

• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
18 years 10 months ago #17277 by Macros42
Getting into photography was created by Macros42
I want to give this a try out so I'm looking at getting the Toucam Pro II (€60 in PC World). I know I'll need an adapter and possible an IR/UV filter as well for planetary shots. The plan is to set up a spare PC in the kitchen at home - this will be a low spec PC but I can move the AVI's to the good one for processing afterwards.

Does anyone know what the effective distance is for USB? I'm guessing about 5 metres which wouldn't be long enough. Is it possible to extend that distance? I can't afford a laptop at the moment so this is really the only option ... I'm looking at Dave McD here cos I know what you're set up is like :D

So any tips / advice on getting started? I've mailed Andy McCrea and Wally for prices and availability. Wally won't have a Barlow in for a few weeks though and neither will AI (but their price is a fair bit higher than Wally's anyway). Is there anyone else I could contact for purchasing this kit?

Dave - if you're reading this I might give you a call over the weekend for your expert opinion if that's ok.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17280 by terry
Replied by terry on topic 'Getting into photography'
Hi, you are right in that there is a limit to the length of USB cable useable. However you can use USB Repeaters. The USB Repeater cable is designed cater for situations where USB devices are located at a distance greater than that normally allowed by standard USB cables. These "active USB extension cables" are available in 5m lengths and up to five such cables may be connected in series, allowing a maximum cable length of approx. 25m. There is a male USB series A plug on one end and a series A socket on the other.

Have a look at www.starmount.co.uk/u_rep1.htm for availablity and prices.

I hope this helps.

Good watching

Terry

More
18 years 10 months ago #17281 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Getting into photography
I know I'm the wrong Dave, but
I do know that the toucam uses usb1 which has a max length of 5 meters, any more then that and you'll need another hub to boost the signal (apparently), altough I've used 17 feet of cable on the toucam and it works.

You will need the IR blocking filter on the toucam, its almost a pre-requisite.

MAke sure you get as fast a spec machine for registax, processing 2000 frames can be abit tedious on a slow machine, especially if it crashes half way through. :o

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 10 months ago #17284 by ctr
Replied by ctr on topic Re: Getting into photography
You know this might be the answer to my "No Laptop" troubles.

Did you say the TouCam Pro is €60???

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
18 years 10 months ago #17322 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Getting into photography

You know this might be the answer to my "No Laptop" troubles.

Did you say the TouCam Pro is €60???

Yes I did - PC World.

MAke sure you get as fast a spec machine for registax

I'll be using a fairly basic box for the capture but moving it to my souped-up gaming box for processing :D

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
18 years 10 months ago #17323 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Getting into photography

I'll be using a fairly basic box for the capture but moving it to my souped-up gaming box for processing :D

Me to :lol:
If the capture machine gets blown by the cold, I'd get over it.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds