K-Tec

martian dust storm ??

More
18 years 10 months ago #17328 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: martian dust storm ??
hi guys,

info on the dust storms at the page of the International Mars Watch elvis.rowan.edu/marswatch/dust/ . . . now to do a bit of hoovering to get rid of the dust around the house :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #17333 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: martian dust storm ??

Dave,

I can see the area you mean and if you compare it to the image I took back on the 25th,

Then there certainly are some features missing in this regionin your image that are visible in mine.
The main dust storm is further round the planet but I have seen reports of generally reduced athmospheric transparency on Mars by some observers.( I am more worried about our own athmosphere :( ) So maybe you are on to something there.

Michael S.

I'm not having any luck with the seeing here, so using something like a barlow is out of the question.
Its not so much the detail but the odd orange colour there.
I see a corresponding feature which might explain it, but I dont understand the colour, and i see it on the images before processing in photoshop, maybe a quirk of the stacking??

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• daveg
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 10 months ago #17338 by daveg
Replied by daveg on topic Re: martian dust storm ??
Dave

What youre seeing is part of the hellas / zen lacus region. It can appear nealy white in some images. The storm at moment should be visible from about Nov 4 from Ireland.

DaveG

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds