• Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #17766 by dave_lillis
M42, orion the hunter is back. was created by dave_lillis
Hi,
Looks like a whole bunch of us were out last night, wasn't it a great sky. :P
Anyway, I thought it was time to resume taking pictures of the sky, and started off and the easiest DSO out there.
You might want to play around with your brightness/contrast settings (try both up full) on your monitor to see all of this image.

www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/fi...410613-m42_hdr_1.jpg

I finally have the tracking someway good and with the use of the lumicon GEG, I was able to get 8/10 images tracked well up to 3 minutes. I used the astrometric eyepiece for the off axis guiding. I;ve found that you can easily over compensate and wreck a good image, and its hard going to physically keep it going after a duration of 5 minutes, one lapse in concentration and the image is gone, the wind didnt help either.

I used the IDAS light pollution filter in conjunction with the 300D at prime focus of my 12" SCT. Exposures used were 20s, 40s, and 180s, stacking was done in registax and processing done in photoshop CS2.

That new HDR function is cool, I'm not totally happy that I've got the hang of it, so I might be posting more enhanced versions of this image over the next few days, along with a few more planetry images, once I catch up on some badly needed sleep, didnt get to bed until 4.45 monday morning and had work at nine. :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 10 months ago #17767 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: M42, orion the hunter is back.
Great shot Dave. I think there might be just a few M42 images on these boards before spring is out:)

Tell you what, you need to seriously consider autoguiding, you already have a webcam dont you? all you need is an RS232 cable to send guiding corrections to the mount and some free software. Its soooo much nicer standing beside your scope drinking a coffee and watching the mount autoguide than peering down the barrel of an eyepiece. I found the novelty of manual guiding wears off very quickly. (certainly did for me anyway)

Once again super shot, keep em coming!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 10 months ago #17769 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: M42, orion the hunter is back.
That image is beautiful, it looks so alive!

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 10 months ago #17771 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: M42, orion the hunter is back.
Nice sharp image Dave. Well done!

More
18 years 10 months ago #17776 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: M42, orion the hunter is back.
Really good image. You've got some good structure within the nebula. It obviously pays off to do good guiding. I agree with Dave G, going the automated way is the way to go for the future, in particular for any very long exposures you intend to do.

Eamonn A

More
18 years 10 months ago #17778 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: M42, orion the hunter is back.
They look fantastic. I can't wait to get my Toucam adapter so I can try and get some like this as well. Probably won't be as good with a 8" scope but I'll do my best :)

btw Dave - I have a Skywatcher 200 on EQ5 and I put on the dual axis motors two weeks ago - can these be autoguided as well?

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds