K-Tec

Help with Toucam

• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
18 years 10 months ago #17975 by Macros42
Help with Toucam was created by Macros42
I'm trying to get my first image with a Toucam Pro 2 in a 3x Barlow. I'm not getting very much definition and while I'm experimenting with the controls I'm not too sure what I'm doing. Has anyone here imaged Mars with this camera? If so, could you post the settings you're using (such as Gain. shutter speed, fsp, etc.

Thanks a mill,

Steve

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17979 by mjs
Replied by mjs on topic Re: Help with Toucam
Steve,

the settings will depend on the size of the telescope and the focal ratio. here is what I use with an f 5.77 222mm + a x2 barlow.

10 frames per second (I use a 233mHz portable)
1/250 shuttrer speed
Gain at about 20% (from the left)
I leave all the other settings about mid way

If your scope is bigger/ is faster (lower f-stop) then you would need less light. The x3 barlow or a smaller size 'scope would need a longer exposure or more gain. The image in the screen is never great. If you can see any features at all you should be ok, Registax will do the rest. Also keep the image on the screen fairly faint as it is easy to burn out the detail. Focusing and a steady sky is the key to a sharp image.

See here for some of my images of Mars

Michael S

More
18 years 10 months ago #17981 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Help with Toucam
Practically EVERY image you see of Mars on this site is with that camera,
A 3x barlow sounds like alot to me, if you're using it on something like an ETX70, then forget about it, ditch the barlow and go for a sharper yet smaller disk, using a barlow in many cases reduces image contrast.
What scope are you using??

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
18 years 10 months ago #17984 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Help with Toucam
Thanks Michael - I'll try that tonight (weather permitting).

Dave - it's a Skywatcher 200 F/5. I have dual-axis motors on it to track but focussing is a pain. Is there a way to focus before putting the camera on?

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
18 years 10 months ago #17990 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Help with Toucam
That looks like a fine scope,
There is no accurate way of pre-focusing in your situation, as I'm sure you've discovered the focus position of any of your eyepieces is not the same as the toucam.

All you can do is focus the toucam accurately on a good night and then slightly mark the crayford focuser barrel, it wont ever give you bang on focus but it'll give you somewhere to start from each night instead of starting from scratch.

The barlow is probabily a feasible device on such a fast scope.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
18 years 10 months ago #18017 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Help with Toucam

All you can do is focus the toucam accurately on a good night and then slightly mark the crayford focuser barrel, it wont ever give you bang on focus but it'll give you somewhere to start from each night instead of starting from scratch.

The barlow is probabily a feasible device on such a fast scope.

That's a good idea - hadn't thought of that - thanks.

And whew! I bought the barlow because I read that F/15 at least is best for planetary imaging. I won't get out this evening to try again but hopefully the weather will be ok during the week to try again.

Steve
--

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds