K-Tec

My first proper attempt at a photo

• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
18 years 10 months ago #18244 by Macros42
My first proper attempt at a photo was created by Macros42
This is in the hope that someone can tell me what the hell I'm supposed to do on the wavelets page :D

Thsi is has all wavelets at default levels

This one has wavelets 1:1 at 3.8 and 2:1 at 6.4

I'm actually happy enough cos it's the first real attempt after the advice on my other thread regarding toucam settings and a phone call to Dave McD. At least I can see something :D

Equipment:
Skywatcher 200 f/5
3x Barlow
Toucam Pro 2
Stacked in Registax at 85% quality: about 120 of 500 frames used

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #18248 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: My first proper attempt at a photo
Steve - well done! The relief when you get your first image is very satisfying.

Sorry to say however, that I've really no advice to offer you re Registax - I rarely use it.

However, at first glance, I can see that with the F5 OTA and a 3x Barlow, your focal length is 3000mm. That's *really* pushing the limts of the seeing, tracking ability and you really need longer exposures with this focal length.

Try imaging Mars again but increase the exposure limit to something between 0.5 and 1 second and see if that brightens it up a bit. It may not give you more detail but will give a brighter image...

But well done - rally!

Cheers

Dave McD

• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
18 years 10 months ago #18250 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: My first proper attempt at a photo
Dave - I actually am delighted that I got a pic at all no matter what the quality. I'm well aware that people here have got better ones with the same equipment but experience will always improve the imaging. Practice, practice, practice - right :D

This one was taken at 1/250 shutter speed.

I had planned to take more images with different settings to try and find the optimum settings for my scope but the damn clouds rolled in again just like they did last night :( It's also possible that my focus was slightly off (no motorised focussing so it's not easy. I could see the clouds coming when I got home from work so the scope was only outside for about 20 mins when I took this so it's mightn't have been cooled down enough either.

But what the hell! I got one - and now I want to get a better one. I can see how this gets addictive :lol:

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
18 years 10 months ago #18253 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: My first proper attempt at a photo
Steve - you always remember your fist image - no matter what it looks like :D It at least confirms that you can take a picture of *something* and that you're not a complete numpty (well, that's what I felt like when starting out :lol: )

Now you now that your system can take an image, its a long uphill struggle to start tweaking your system, technique and patience - but if you keep at it, there is no doubt that each image you take will be (mostly) better than the last. And addictive it sure is as you strive for perfection. And once on that rocky path, you can feel the cash draining away...

Taking images with different settings is definately the right route - don;t worry too much about processing right now. The key is to get the best native (pre-processing) image you can. Post-processing will only improve it marginally.

Keep it up and we'll certainly look forward to many more images from Maynooth!

Cheers

Dave

ps -watch for a post on Monday re the DSI...

More
18 years 10 months ago #18254 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: My first proper attempt at a photo
Nice first attempt Steve! You know, it looks like you got the North Polar hood (green 'hood' at 10 o'clock) that Dave Gradwell remarked about in his Mars image on the other thread!

Thumbs up!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• daveg
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 10 months ago #18261 by daveg
Replied by daveg on topic Re: My first proper attempt at a photo
Hi \Steve and welcome to the wonderful world of webcamming at least you got detail in your first image mine looked like a solphadeine disolving in water any way try these settings for mars

1/33 exp
gain bout 30 to 50%
leave everything else as is
take about 1800 frames at 10fps

on regi
80% is fine for mars I use wavelets set at Gausian 3 to 1 and use the No. 1 wavelet only.

Dave Gradwell

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds