• tommy burke
  • Topic Author
  • Nebula
  • Nebula
More
18 years 9 months ago #20439 by tommy burke
space camera was created by tommy burke
Hi,

Just looking for some advice on a camera for taking space photographs. I am hoping to get a new camera.

Most or all of the images I have seen seem to have used SLR type cameras. Are these the best type to get or could one go for a digital camera. The digital camera would be my first choice as I prefer to keep images on disk rather than hard copy.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Tommy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #20443 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: space camera
I'm no expert but Digital SLR seems to be the way to go these days.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 9 months ago #20448 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: space camera
Tommy - like anything else, the answer to the question you ask is 'it depends'.

1. What scope/mount do you have?
2. What types of pictures would you like to take? (planets, the moon, widefield milky way shots)
3. Do you have a decent PC or laptop?
4. How much money do you have :D

If you're just thinking of a camera you can use day-to-day and use on the odd occasion for astro images, then perhaps a standard digital camera will do. You will need to buy a couple of relatively inexpensive adapters to attach it to the scope directly, or, you can just piggyback it on the scope.

If you have a bit more cash, buy a standard digital camera for ordinary use and a webcam for lunar/planetary images. The digital camera will do wide-field shots as well.

If you have a good bit of dosh, you can get a digital SLR - just like the film SLR's, only digital and easy to use (with excellent results).

If you have a bit of cash and a good OTA/mount combo, an entry level imager (like the Meade LPI or DSI) might be the route to take.

If you just won the lotto, get a Finger Lakes research camera ($40,000). In fact, get two, I'll have the other one as payment for the advice :D

Hope this helps a little...

Cheers

Dave

• tommy burke
  • Topic Author
  • Nebula
  • Nebula
More
18 years 9 months ago #20463 by tommy burke
Replied by tommy burke on topic space camera
Thats Ok Lads, thanks very much.

I am not really into photography and I am just beginning in astronomy. after doing an Open University course on the planets.

I was planning on on a camera around 400 or 500 euro for general use - but that I could also use with a telescope. My preference was digital. I was hoping to be able to take some shots of the moon and some planets and maybe down the line progress from that to a better scope and camera but that would be a bit away.

You have answered the questions that I had in my head, Much obliged

Tommy

More
18 years 8 months ago #20571 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:

I was planning on on a camera around 400 or 500 euro for general use - but that I could also use with a telescope.

Tommy, you can get a Canon 300D digital slr second hand for that price, if you have the money - well recommended.
Just my two cents.....

Keith...

More
18 years 8 months ago #20572 by Matthew C
Replied by Matthew C on topic Re: space camera
Keith is right tommy! Have just purchased a canon eos 300d from ebay for just under 500 euro! it will be here for Christmas!!! Cant wait!! :o
Matthew C

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. . . .
T. S. Eliot
A wise man....

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds