K-Tec

space camera

More
18 years 8 months ago #20582 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: space camera
hi Tommy,

although I just use binoculars, a good option might be go for a general DSLR or digital camera that you can use during the day and for the moment, if you wanted to cut your teeth on imaging the Moon and planets, you can get a Toucam Pro II web cam for 60 euro in PC World. A lap top, if you have access to one, will allow you capture the images from it.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago #20584 by william coghlan
Replied by william coghlan on topic digital SLR's
:?: I thought digital SLR's were unsuitable as the batteries could wear out during long exposures :?:

Meade LX90 12" LNT
Orion Optics 12" f4 Dobsonian
EPs: currently in transition state
Health: CAF (Chronic Aperture Fever). No known cure. Known to cause Dobs to expand into Obsession.

More
18 years 8 months ago #20587 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: space camera
I dont know how much you know about DSLRs, so I'll start at the top,

I know what you're thinking of, the old saying goes that you are much better off to go with mechanical SLR cameras, not battery powered, but this only applies to FILM cameras.
This DSLR cameras do not use film therefore they need batteries, the 300D has a pretty good battery life and recharges quite quickly, so its fairly suitable in that respect. Astronomy wise, its superb, a few years ago it would have costed a couple thousands of euros for a ccd camera with its field fo view. :shock: If you thrawl through this site for images, you'll find that a vast quantity were taken with this camera. I could not recommend it more highly.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 8 months ago #20593 by william coghlan
Replied by william coghlan on topic SLR's
:oops: to answer your question, I know very little but I'm (relatively) healthy and hope I've a good while left to learn. What's the price range of such digitally photosensitive devices :?: and are they realy worth the expense to attach or piggy - back onto an etx 125 :?:

Meade LX90 12" LNT
Orion Optics 12" f4 Dobsonian
EPs: currently in transition state
Health: CAF (Chronic Aperture Fever). No known cure. Known to cause Dobs to expand into Obsession.

More
18 years 8 months ago #20594 by Jed Glover
Replied by Jed Glover on topic Re: SLR's

:oops: to answer your question, I know very little but I'm (relatively) healthy and hope I've a good while left to learn. What's the price range of such digitally photosensitive devices :?: and are they realy worth the expense to attach or piggy - back onto an etx 125 :?:

Hi William,

It should be possible to piggy back the camera and use it prime focus with a few restrictions.

The camera will not be able to do very high objects prime focus because it will hit the base of the scope, you may be able to get around this with a wedge (if one is available).

In any case you will need a wedge to do any significant length shots, otherwise you will get field rotation.

Later,

Jed.

More
18 years 8 months ago #20595 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: space camera
William - as an alternative you could consider the DSI. Its a one-shot colour CCD imager for $299. Whilst you won't be able to use it for ordinary photography (its designed specifically for astrophotography) and you wont get wide-field shots, you *will* get great images of deep sky objects like galaxies, clusters, nebulae and it will geive reasonable images of the planets. It laso give good images of the moon/sun.

Another advantage is that the software, in conjunction with a Meaqde mount, will de-rotate the image for you - you won;t need to buy a wedge.

Cheers

Dave

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds