Five galaxies

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 8 months ago #20518 by dmcdona
Five galaxies was created by dmcdona
Folks, for those interested, here are five galaxies I imaged over the weekend. The usual setup (C8 plus DSI and 6.3 reducer) but exposure times varied from 30 to 120 seconds.

Cheers

Dave

www.astroshack.net/gallery/AOP/NGC%202655.jpg
www.astroshack.net/gallery/AOP/NGC%202715.jpg
www.astroshack.net/gallery/AOP/NGC%202732.jpg
www.astroshack.net/gallery/AOP/NGC%202748.jpg
www.astroshack.net/gallery/AOP/NGC%202985.jpg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago #20519 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Five galaxies
Dave ,those are interesting images,

the first looks like its peripherals are faint,
the second had some fine detail, yet noisy
the third pair are small enough
the 4th is bright and has some nice detail.
The last has very faint arm structure around the core, a fine contender.

Just a question WRT all of those images, why do you use such short exposures, I would have thought you'd be pushing 5 minutes+ on galaxies such as those.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 8 months ago #20520 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Five galaxies
I thought had he increased the exposure on those images any more he would have seriously washed out any more potential detail!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 8 months ago #20521 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Five galaxies
Maybe on the first and third images cores, but I would have thought 2 and 5 would benifit significantly, its the arms you want. Or how about 2 images of each object 1 long and 1 short and using photoshop to merge them, just ideas.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 8 months ago #20522 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Five galaxies
I used short exposures just to see how it went. In reality, I'll need to refine the exposure times. But in theory, these exposure lengths would be OK since a supernova would show up reasonably well (they tend to outshine the host galaxy).

The third image was interesting - the larger of the two is the galaxyof interest. The little s-shaped one is just a nice bonus :D

The second image was a bit odd. Its a 12 mag galaxy but it clearly has a low surface brightness - and its big! This one could do with 3 or 4 minutes worth or even more to squeeze out more detail.

Seanie - as it happens, longer exposures will improve the images. They are intrinsically 'dim' compared to the moon, mars etc (which would wash out on longer expsoures) and so the longer the exposure, the better your signal/noise ratio. The limiting factor is typically sky brightness - your maximum exposure duration is reached when the sky brightness starts to creep in (e.g light pollution) and then you'll get no more benefit of even longer exposures. SOme of the folks on the boards would image similar galaxies to these and shoot 10 or 20 HOURS worth... :shock:

Cheers
Dave

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 8 months ago #20523 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Five galaxies

Maybe on the first and third images cores, but I would have thought 2 and 5 would benifit significantly, its the arms you want. Or how about 2 images of each object 1 long and 1 short and using photoshop to merge them, just ideas.

That's interesting. I guess I was thinking about just longer single expsoures. But combinations of short/long could work... Or lots of stacked mediums... Food for thought.

As it happens, these images are the first shots in preparation for a SN search project. As such, they're not taken for the 'pretty picture' effect. As long as subsequent images (at the ideal to-be-determined exposure duration) can identify a supernova, then the goal has been achieved.

Thanks for the feedback lads

Dave

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds