DSI LPI and autoguiding

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 8 months ago #21917 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: DSI LPI and autoguiding
Erik,

Just a word of advice about the ETX. As you might imaging tit cannot hold very much weight also there is a big problem with attaching cameras to the back as they normally prevent the camera from pointing very high in the sky (the camera will collide with the mount). The Canon 300D or similar will likely be too heavy and will certainly prevent you pointing high in the sky.

I feel the meade DSI would be your best option both in terms on weight and physical size.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Eirikg
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 8 months ago #21921 by Eirikg
Replied by Eirikg on topic Re: DSI LPI and autoguiding
ive thought about that, but guess i could live with that. Ext 70 is also abit heaveier in the front from before.

But about the DSI, it seems expensive compared to pixles. But i guess there is other features that is important too.

• DaveGrennan
More
18 years 8 months ago #21923 by DaveGrennan
You are right Eirik. I feel pixel for pixel the DSI is expensive but you do need to match your imager to your scope. On a purely money/pixel comparison there is nothing to beat the digital SLR cameras like the Canon 350D however you are not going to get best value with a DSLR and a ETX70 combo.

The other feature the DSI has in its favour is the autostar software suite which looks after most of the processing for you. Takes a lot of the hard work out of imaging.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• Eirikg
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 8 months ago #21926 by Eirikg
Thought of another thing too, IF i someday want a bigger scope, i could use the ext70 and dsi as guiding? :D

• DaveGrennan
More
18 years 8 months ago #21927 by DaveGrennan

Thought of another thing too, IF i someday want a bigger scope, i could use the ext70 and dsi as guiding? :D

Actually probably not (well the ETX anyway) :( . Its not really long enough (focal lenght only 350mm) for guiding. Then you have the issue of how to remove it from the fork mount to mount on a bigger scope. You cannot leave it attached to that fork mount for guiding purposes. Its just too flexible.

Ceratinly the DSI is attracting a lot more support as far as guiding is concerned so that may well be an investment for the future.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• Eirikg
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 8 months ago #21928 by Eirikg
oh i just watched dmcdona's equpi, but what he does is actually guiding with the Celestron C8 +dsi and takes photos with etx? (I thought it was the other way around)

DSI in ETX controlling the mount u got? Cant that be done? Or do you have to magnify so much to be able to track? :O

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds