Prime Focus Photography - 1st Attempt

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 7 months ago #22257 by Keith g
Prime Focus Photography - 1st Attempt was created by Keith g
Hi all, I finally got around to getting a t-adapter and t-ring for my canon 300D camera, now that I've decided to get into deepsky astrophotography :D

This is my first attempt at it, so what better place to start than the moon!, I was out early this morning, and had a go at a 60% bright moon, shooting through my C8, no masterpiece, but this is definitely not as good as the view through a refractor telescope! I learned that the corrector plate on my C8 had to be cleaned as it was a bit dewy, but it's not bad to start off!

I had a go at M42 last night, they were horrendous :P wind was at 40mph, what did i expect??? :oops:

Focus is ropey too! but i've learned a tip of using a magnifying glass when looking through the viewfinder of the camera. A long way to go :arrow:

1/10second at IS0 100........
>

Keith..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #22258 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Prime Focus Photography - 1st Attempt
Considering the conditions you were in i think its a nice image keith! It wont be long before you master this area of astrophotography like you have done with the others! :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 7 months ago #22263 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Prime Focus Photography - 1st Attempt
Good going Keith! Just to clarify, at such an exposure time (one tenth of a second), is the blurry nature due to movement in the camera and/or scope, or as you said, the dew on the faceplate?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 7 months ago #22276 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Prime Focus Photography - 1st Attempt
Nice image Keith - focus is a tad off but its a great start. Keep at it and keep them coming!

Cheers
Dave

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 7 months ago #22286 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:

is the blurry nature due to movement in the camera and/or scope, or as you said, the dew on the faceplate?

It's the dew, no dew heater, so it does affect the image.

Dave, I tried to focus as best I could looking through the viewfinder, but it was the best I could get - this time. At least it's a start.....

Keith..

More
18 years 7 months ago #22288 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Prime Focus Photography - 1st Attempt
You can use a hairdrier (on its lowest setting) to get rid of dew. Though I suspect I'd be hauled over the coals for suggesting this :D

I use one (it has a cold setting) when I have no alternative. I usually give the C8 corrector plate a blast of warm followed by a good lashing of cold.

Of course, you need to be careful - you don't want to crack anything.

I find that it affects focus for a minute or so - so don't refocus - just let it reach ambient temperature again - usually a minute or two.

Looks like we're both in the market for a dewheater :wink:

Keep at the focus - it took me weeks/months to hone my focusing skills :cry:

Cheers

Dave

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds