• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 7 months ago #22280 by dmcdona
Eskimo in colour was created by dmcdona
OK folks, this is the colour version of the eskimo

Warning - its not too pretty. The red layer is more bloated than the green or blue, so you'll see red outlines on the larger stars. There's also some obvious rugby-balling going on :cry:

Colour processing is definately a large jump on an already steep learning curve... Also, interpreting what the actual colour *should* be is pretty much a stab in the dark.

Enjoy if you can :oops:

Eskimo in colour

Cheers

Dave McD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #22283 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Eskimo in colour
Thats still not a bad attempt, even if your heart is broken Dave! The reason I asked for the colour version was to see if the 'hoodie' would turn up more detail, and in my opinion, it has! (even if the face has become slightly over-exposed)

But yes, it does look like a tricky effort. Almost like some of the evels were pushed a bit too far (particularly in the stars, as you said, they're rugby-balling), but I like the extra detail brought out of the Eskimo!

Thumbs up from me! :)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 7 months ago #22284 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: Eskimo in colour
Great shot Dave! This is certainly a challenging nebula to get right. The central star alone is exceptionally bright for any of these nebulae. Even when you allow for the brightness of the central star you have good detail showing up in the annulus region, which is meant to be red in patches.. Most of these planetary nebulae do have a reddish patchy annulus. Considering its half the diameter of Jupiter is a good attempt for such a difficult object.

Its all down to colour balance of these nebulae, which I have no experience in. I would have thought that because these specific nebulae are rich in oxygen, wouldn't it make more sence to have L, R,G and B but also have an O3 in there. I have never seen anybody producing this type of image before. It would be more real. May be this is the route to take for real Planetary Nebula images as a speciality. There could be new findings going this route.

BTW, early this morning I took a test b&w image of the Paw Bear Nebula. I wasn't to sure what I was looking at not having seen it before.

I remember a posting you had difficulty using PoleAlignMax (PAM) . I also had problems, I was fine tuning late last night.. The PinPoint plate solving just did not work. I checked another script I had for plate solving using PinPoint and it worked. I am puzzled as to how this function does not work within PAM.

Eamonn A

More
18 years 7 months ago #22285 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Eskimo in colour
Good effort Dave!

Perhaps a suggestion:
What if you were to use the mono image you took previously and simply add the red channel of the nebula itself. As the main colour in this nebula is red, this would add the colour you're seeking. It would also keep the rest of the image as good as your mono image.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 7 months ago #22290 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Eskimo in colour
Thanks Eamonn - the red plane is problematic - I don't use an IR filter (too many motes) so it ends up really bloated. I'd love to get going on filtered images - especially hydrogen and oxygen. But as ever, its a matter of cost and time... And ultimately, I'd rather spend the cash on a good photometry set-up and the filter sets for that are pretty pricey. Must do the Euromillions...

PAM wouldn't work for my combination of DSI/MaximDL and the GSC 1.1 catalogue. I tried all sorts with no joy. PAM wouldn't work and neither would PinPoint on its own (well, within Maxim...). I'm stumped too.

What was your other script?

Michael - at first, I thought 'that's a good idea'. But all I'd get is a mono image with a red tinge. Albeit that red is the predominant colour (check out hubble images of the Eskimo), its not the only one... And also, the DSI is in fact a colour imager - so the image you get, is as good as it ges if you get my drift - a mono image will be no better in terms of resolution etc. I'll see if the red plane makes a difference to the mono image though.

Cheers
Dave

More
18 years 7 months ago #22339 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: Eskimo in colour
Dave,

I used a script FindBrightStar vs. exported to ACP 4.1. PinPoint within ACP plate solved using USNO A 2.0. Then when I went back to PoleAlignMax it didn't work. I'll have to explore this further.

Eamonn A

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds