K-Tec

Cheapest New Canon 350D

More
18 years 7 months ago #24074 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Cheapest New Canon 350D

BTW build quality of Canon kit lens is poor. I bought a Sigma 55-200 lens at the same time and the build quality is far superior. If the build quality of the Sigma 18-50 lens is similiar, I'd recommend the Sigma over the Canon.

Cant say that I've found the build quality poor, though there is a little movement with it. There is a good review of the lens at www.photo.net/equipment/canon/efs18-55/review/ btw.

For telephoto I went for the Canon 70-200 (the cheap(er!) f/4 version) and by comparison with that lens the canon 18-55 does feel like a toy camera lens. Granted there is a big difference in price there...

I think it boils down to cash. If you want the cheapest option the kit lens included is probably the way to go. If you have a bit more to spend other lenses might be worth considering.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #24105 by darragh
Replied by darragh on topic Re: Cheapest New Canon 350D
Glass will last a life time, so if you are buying lenses, it is probably best to invest the money and get good glass, bodies will last 50k or 100k clicks

On the prices of the Canon 350D, it's cheap but if you wait a few weeks the price of the Canon 20D will probably drop as it looks like Canon are introducing a new DSLR around the end of Feburary inline the PMA conference ( Most new cameras are announced at the PMA )

Darragh

More
18 years 6 months ago #24262 by Eirikg
Replied by Eirikg on topic Re: Cheapest New Canon 350D
And now they have been introduced. Canon 30d, but as i read there wasnt much new, so 20d might drop that much?

More
18 years 6 months ago #24263 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Cheapest New Canon 350D
Some more 30D information

www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022114canoneos30d.asp

Nothing in the specs to tempt me to change from a 350D (even If I had the money!), then again, I couldnt find anything in the specs for the 20D that I thought justified the price difference for what I use it for.

Best Wishes,
~Albert

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 6 months ago #24264 by darragh
Replied by darragh on topic Re: Cheapest New Canon 350D
The Canon 20D and 30D wil last twice as long as a 350D but then this is only a problem if you are doing a 1000 shots a week.

The Canon 20/30D have 5 frames per second compared to 3fps for the Canon 350D.

Unless you are doing wildlife photography, the extra investment required for the 20D over the 350D is probably not worth it for most users.

• gammarayo
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 6 months ago #25495 by gammarayo
Replied by gammarayo on topic Re: Cheapest New Canon 350D
Thanks for the suggestions guys..

Just ordered a Canon 350D (18-55 lens) for 699 euro from www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/foto/fotodi...&viewmode=search

Shipping was 36 euro bringing it to a total of 735 euro.

I think it's one of the best deals i can find.. it really pays off to shop around. Some of the stores in the Blanchardstown and Liffey Valley retail parks were selling this product for 999 euro!

The supplied lens will have to do for now. It seems like an awful lot of money to pay for the lens upgrade.

Regards,

Ray

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds