M51, ten minute exposure

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 5 months ago #25658 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: M51, ten minute exposure
Well, I would sacrifice a week of clear nights here to see a solar eclipse :)
imagine if we were clouded out and they saw the partial phases here :shock: :evil:

A GEG is a lumicon "Giant Easy Guider", a very good off axis guider which I cant use alot because its almost impossible to get a star in it that is bright enough for the webcam to pick up, but that wont be a problem soon :)

dslr focus is a good program for focusing and automatically taking pictures with the canon. I must give maxim dslr a go sometime, it looks abit involved, so I must sit down some evening and work through it.

I havent seen this crud before in any image I've taken, so its a new thing, I'll come back here when I figure it out.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #25659 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: M51, ten minute exposure
Clouded out in Antalya? Having won the Triple Crown, the luck of the Irish may well be tested.... :lol: And as for sacrificing a week of clear nights, that's pretty much all I've had since Jan 1st :shock:

Can you get rid of the GEG as well as the flip mirror? And is the webcam about to be replaced with the ST4?

Maxim - um, a little time investment is required but it'll grow on you. If you want to really get into astrometry and get an observatory code, you'll need it (or something similar). Then again, I'm not sure if the dslr version does plate solving, so you may need the full version - but that only seems to support the Canon EOS.

I've had sessions before where just about everything went wrong. The next, it was all fine and dandy. You may have just hit a low spot (no pun...)

Fingers crossed for Turkey anyhow.

Cheers

Dave

More
18 years 5 months ago #25660 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: M51, ten minute exposure
Nice image Dave, it has a nice blue hue to it. I like it!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 5 months ago #25661 by dave_lillis
thanks, Seanie,

Dave, right now I could take off the GEG, it weighs a fair amount and taking it off would mean a time consuming adjustment of the scopes balance set up, which is much more of a pain then you would imagine. In the long term I'd prefer to loose the skylux given a choice, the read advantage is that if there is any mirror flop/movement in the SCT, then it will also show up in the GEG since its an offaxis guider. A mag8/9 star is easily visible in the GEG, so the st-4 (or modified webcam for that matter) should be able to use it.

The skylux is a fall back position, in that if it's just not possible to get a suitable star in the GEG, the skylux comes in and saves the day.
It doesnt weight much (there is some advantages to using plastic) so I'm happy to leave it up there.

I'm fairly happy with this m51 image, given its the first time I tried getting anything longer the 3 minutes on it, I few refinements and we'll be almost there. I look at this as a starting point.
Many lx200 users on the web would not recommend using the scope at F10 as it is a stretch for the mount, but I'm willing to give it a go.

More
18 years 5 months ago #25662 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: M51, ten minute exposure
And I'd add that its a good starting point! Your M51 is certainly better than my feeble attempts - even with the AP :D

By the way, if you can take that kind of image, I'd say an observatory code is well within your grasp.

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 5 months ago #25663 by dave_lillis
Thanks for the encouragement Dave, We'll give it a go sometime in the not too distant future.

As for DSLRs and ccd cameras (I just love fanning the fire) the following image explains why I'm reluctant to go down the dsi route

www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/fi...s-1600-008_small.jpg

This is the uncropped and unprcocessed 300d frame (image scale has been proportionally reduced for file size purposes), the dsi is only a fraction of this field of view in my scope, and is also the reason why I'd prefer to go for a wide field ccd format camera (sbig or not), if the sbig can do an hours worth of 300d imaging in 90 seconds, then its well worth. Tracking becomes a much smaller issue, and you get to sleep alot earlier also. :)

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds