• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 5 months ago #26332 by JohnMurphy
SPC900NC First Light was created by JohnMurphy
OK, a busy evening.
I fitted the lens adapter to the SPC900NC, removed the horrible white light LED by destroying it with a rotary tool and tried to fit the IR filter from the Panasonic. This involved reducing the size of the IR filter using the rotary tool again - No problem there. Fitted the filter into the adapter receptacle on the camera - tight against the CCD, and reassemled the unit. NEVER squash two pieces of glass together, the result is you get any dust or debris greatly magnified in your FOV, no amount of cleaning rectified the problem satisfactorily. Looks like I'll have to buy an IR filter after all.
This prime focus lark had me baffled initially, I fitted the camera to the scope inside and tried to focus on numerous items reasonably close-by but to no avail. I thought I had mucked it up. But --YES!!-- the skys were clear. So-- I set the scope up outside and tried a focus on the moon - GOT IT. It works!!! Seeing a live broadcast of the sky on your laptop has no equal.
Even without a 2X barlow there was no way the whole of the moon would fit in the FOV. So I thought I'd give Saturn a try. Here is my first image ever. I know it's crap, but it was done mainly to prove the working principle. Also I'll get better as I try different gain, shutter, etc. settings.
Anyway this is only about 10 frames captured and stacked using K3CCDTools 3.0, my first time using that. I used Registax later for processing and that's much more friendly. The only good thing about this image is you can see the shadow of the Planet on the rings.
Also focusing with this scope is a bitch. I have to get an electronic focuser soon, especially if I want to get serious about imaging.

[/img] www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/fi...8-Saturn080406-4.jpg

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 5 months ago #26333 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: SPC900NC First Light
Sorry about that the image didn't come up in the last post. Here it is:

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out My Photos

More
18 years 5 months ago #26336 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: SPC900NC First Light
well done john

lookingforward to seeing more

Cheers
Trevor

More
18 years 5 months ago #26339 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: SPC900NC First Light
its a good start John, welcome to the long and sometimes expensive road of astrophotography. :)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 5 months ago #26396 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: SPC900NC First Light
Nice work John, its such a great feeling when you do a bit of work like that and get a result isnt it!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 5 months ago #26403 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: SPC900NC First Light

Nice work John, its such a great feeling when you do a bit of work like that and get a result isnt it!

Sure is Dave. I'll get better at the focusing and processing - don't worry about the crappy green planet.
By the way I brought a couple of 12V 17Ah SLAs to the last SDAS meeting hoping to run in to you. Give me a shout if you still want them, we can meet up at either the next IAS or SDAS meet.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out My Photos

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds