K-Tec

Neighbour's Light

More
16 years 2 months ago #64583 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Neighbour's Light
The gap in my evergreens is big enough to draw his/her attention to the ply wood shield i plan to erect (on my side of the wall).

As i said "IF he/she has a problem with the plywood..............let them come to me about it" and then i will explain why i did it and maybe then he will point his light downwards.

Costs next to nothing for me to do it.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #64600 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Neighbour's Light

Paul,
Just make the 'light shield' as big and as ugly as you can,
make it so when he looks out his window it p's him off.

yea, get some green luminous paint and write on it
"turn off you damn light!!" :twisted:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 2 months ago #64639 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Neighbour's Light
Mightn't be a bad idea to drop a copy of the article in March's Sky at Night on light pollution and the "environmental" and economic reasons for reducing it into the offenders letterbox.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 1 month ago #64690 by cloudsail
Replied by cloudsail on topic Re: Neighbour's Light
I've tried the gentle approach. It usually doesn't work, but the "take no prisoners" approach never does, especially when you own and may have to put up with that neighbor for decades. Unless you have Neighborhood Nuclear Superiority youtube.com/watch?v=0rLahdNAUks

If the friendly approach fails, rather than hit the neighbor with the obvious 1 million candlepower torch, why not let a tiny bit of stray red light (laser pen) trespass onto his property, specifically onto the daylight sensor of his insecurity light? It worked on those ugly mercury vapor garage lights (so I'm told ;-) The light took 10 minutes to warm up again after illumination, a continuous beam could keep it off indefinitely. If you're really subtle, he'll eventually tired of replacing the "blown" bulbs.

I'm seeing light pollution encroach from all fronts. The badly aimed school and sailing club "security" lights make it all the easier for the lads to aim their rocks and practice graffiti cursive. The Tesco distribution center wiped out what was, until 2 years ago, a good northern sky over the upper Broadmeadows estuary, To the west its another new 500W halogen glare light fitted to set off the neighborhood dogs barking whenever a blowing leaf interrupts the motion sensor. To the east a neighbor built a new 500k house on a side garden and fitted it with halogen lights which illuminate the underside of his eves, his driveway, the underside of some palmetto shrubs and my garden. I have less lights in my living room than he has outside and I'm using CF (11W) and LED (1.6W ) where he is using halogen 40W bulbs).

I also like the ugly light shelter idea, but its too windy here and our walls prevent it from being unsightly enough to be noticed by a neighbor who thinks roof line and palmetto lights are aesthetically pleasing forms of artistic expression.

More
16 years 1 month ago #64702 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Neighbour's Light
Sounds like you've got it tough.
Maybe this new "Gormley" deal will go through and ban the sale of halogen bulbs. That would be a step in the right direction, though its causing a storm at the moment. They could at least ban the sale of 500W, 300W etc halogens to the domestic market.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 1 month ago #65809 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Neighbour's Light
I have decided that the least hostile approach is to print up the leaflet from Albert about home security lighting and give it to my local residence association to distribute in their monthly newsletter.

BTW...............i voted for the 1st time in my life in the last election and i voted GREEN.

I'm kinda starting to regret that vote.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds